Urgent Help regarding stand

sammJack
HI I have purchased a tank of 30 Gallons it’s not quite full but have put it on my side board which I know isn’t designed for a tank but looking at actually tank stands they are really flimsy (some of them) my unit has bowed slightly on the left hand corner. I have re inforced the bottom of the tank at the front and the back. As for putting some support under the tank I am thinking either 12 or 18mm ply (the tank is sat on a thin rubber mat currently) the ply wood with some polystyrene will this help? I am open to any ideas and suggestions as I have thought as much as possible for any way to help my current situation add strength to the unit. I don’t think the unit will actually go anywhere it physically can’t however the tank could possible crack if weight isn’t distributed correctly.

Attachments

• D6D98F27-837B-465F-BFF6-EBFDF43E3EAA.jpeg
    D6D98F27-837B-465F-BFF6-EBFDF43E3EAA.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 0087885E-3661-4B56-BAF9-A11BD37CBD75.jpeg
    0087885E-3661-4B56-BAF9-A11BD37CBD75.jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 60
sammJack
Is there a way to lift the tank without emptying it at all?

Fashooga
Honestly I would consider getting a stand that’s rated for tanks. The last thing you want is a tank to crack and destroying your possessions or other peoples stuff which you could be liable for.

jake37
I'd be concern about a tank that size on a piece of furniture of that design. You should also test with a piece of paper if the top is truly flat (see if you can slide the paper under the tank on any of the four corners) and use a leveler to make sure the tank/stand itself is actually level. Even after those tests i'd still be concern that the legs are not going to have issue with total weight - the tank will weigh more than most adults - do you recall if an adult was comfortable standing on that thing ? Anyway I think you are risking 30 gallons of water on the floor so consider that cost if you go forward. Most lfs will sell a metal stand for $60-$80. It is more sturdy than the particle board stands the chain store sell but anything else is going to be more expensive (unless you build it yourself).

DuaneV
30 gallon stand will be less than $60 at Petco. Best money you'll spend.

jake37
Those are usually particle board (they do have one metal type that is pretty cheap - imagination or something like that you can find them on amazon also) - but if it is a particle board one and it gets wet you are doomed so check it out carefully. ALso you might check the used list - if you buy a used stand make sure it is solid wood.

30 gallon stand will be less than $60 at Petco. Best money you'll spend.

DuaneV
Imagitarium metal stand. I have 4 different ones including the 55 gallon and 40 gallon breeder. Love them and never had a problem with them. The 30 gallon one is $51.99 right now.

ProudPapa
There's nothing wrong with using sturdy wood furniture to support tanks, but that one worries me. The slanted legs are one issue, and the fact that the sideboard is so much larger than the tank, so that the weight is right in the middle instead of being distributed across the entire thing, is another.

I wouldn't leave it there.

sammJack
The legs are metal and are fixed on a metal frame underneath it, I am going to put a piece of ply wood under the tank with polystyrene the tank should Be evenly distributed then I can’t go and change the unit now really.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
ghostdawg
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views