urgent help please

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by brokenwing, Apr 17, 2010.

1. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

My friends wife has a 5 gallon hex tank. I set it up and did a fishless cycle for her. About a week ago I checked the tank, and it was cycled, and I told her she could now go get fish, but i suggested just a betta. She came home with a betta, a cory, and 4 guppys. I came over to visit this evening, and the fish were at the top of the tank. I ran home got the api kit and oh no. No ammonia, nitrites .25 nitrates of 80. She did a 25% water change, and I did not have prime with me, so she used stress coat water conditioner. What do you think, adding the fish brought on a mini cycle, or Im thinking to many fish for that size tank.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

too many fish. there should only really be 1 guppy in there if that. i only have guppy fry in a 10 gallon tank

3. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

That's waaaay too many fish in a 5. She needs to return all but the betta. Can you print the care sheets for all three fish for her, that way she can see the minimum tank requirements?

Bettas and guppies together... geesh. They do not make good friends!

You mean a guppy by itself, or with the betta? I think guppies need swim space. A 5 is a little small for them.

4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

If you can talk her into returning all of the fish but the betta and doing daily partial water changes until her tank water parameters get back to where they should be, that would be best advice I could give.

Those gups are going to get beat up badly the first time that betta has a bad day, but I'm sure you already know this. You've learned quickly in the short time you've been a member:) We are very glad to have you here and it's a wonderful thing you're doing for your friend and his wife.

5. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

My guess is that the cycle was not actually complete. I've had this happen in the past.

I've not kept guppies, but they do not like to be with aggressive fish, such as the betta. I'd suggest that a 2nd tank be set up so the betta could live in one and the guppies and cory in the other. And, if not possible, find someone to adopt or return some to the lfs.

6. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

thank you everyone for the quick response, i know the tank was cycled, it took over a month. I agree with too many fish, I suggested she get a ten gallon for the guppys, and the cory. let me see what i can do thanks

7. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

so My friend bought a ten gallon tank. I added some filter media from my established tank, and she is going to move the guppys, and cory cat over to the ten gallon tank tommorow. She lost one tonight, and I had her do another water change because her nitrates were at 80 again. Hopefully my seeded filter media will establish the ten gallon pretty quick.

8. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Glad to hear a solution is in the works! Now she'll have room in her 10g to get a couple friends for her lone cory. ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice