Urgent Help Please I’ve Got A Baby Fish!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kittysparks, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Kittysparks

KittysparksValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi, feeding my White Cloud Mountain minnow a second ago and found a baby one. I’ve been keeping these fish for a good few years and this has never happened. My WCMM share a tank with Amano shrimp and a bristlenose pleco.

I’ve scooped him out in a panic and he’s in a Tupperware on my kitchen side.

I don’t even know what to do. I’m scared he might get eaten if I put him back?

I’ve got a tank I can put him in but I’ve just pulled it out of the cupboard and my clove oil has spilt in it. How/what do I clean it with?

What the heck do I feed it?

Please help, I want this little dude to live!

2. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well, I've never had White Cloud Mountain minnows but I have had rasbora and cory catfish fry so lets see if I can help.

Do you have a mesh breeder box? If not, you can float the tupperware in the tank, just to keep the same temperature. The mesh box is nice because the fry can't slip through yet the water always circulates and stays fresh. Anyway, do daily water changes with the big tank's water, I'd say about 50% of what's in your container. Throw out the little container's water, don't put it in the main tank.

I've had success with feeding First Bites, you can get it in Petco. It's really tiny, like a powder. Or you could crush up mini pellets, Bug Bites, or any flake food. Just use a tiny bit once or twice a day.

For the tank with the spill, I would fill it with water and vinegar and let it soak some. Then give it a good scrub so all the oil is gone. Check with your fingers for any residue. Rinse with conditioned water and make sure there's no more clove smell. Should be ok.

Use a sponge filter for the fry tank when you get it running. It's gentle and won't suck up the little one.

Hopefully someone who has experience with these minnows will chime in.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    Kittysparks

KittysparksValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you LDan. I didn’t even know what a breeder box was! I’ve made a homemade version for now and he’s back in the tank but safe.

I’ve cleaned my spare tank as instructed and it’s ready however I think I’m just going to keep him in the home made breeder box rather than have a tiny fry in a tank! There was some gravel in the tank but I can’t get the smell of clove out so I’ve disposed of it to be safe.

I’m in uk so will need to check out the foods you have suggested. I have crushed a bit of flake and offered that for now.

I really am grateful for your response. I was literally flapping around in a panic not knowing what to do with the little guy. He’s incredibly cute. I feel so fortunate I’ve got a baby fish. He’s called Joseph.

4. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    1 year
    Excellent! Best in the main tank

Good, definitely trash anything that smells of clove oil.

You are very welcome! I flipped out over my first fry too Best of luck with Joseph and post pics when you can!

5. Cognac82

Cognac82Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +204
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I keep white clouds and they breed quite frequently. If you ever want more just add a few males and females to a tank with some moss and before you know it you'll have fry. They don't usually eat their own fry. When I first got mine they bred three times while they were in quarantine! Now that they're in my main tank the goldfish keep any of that from occurring.
    Mine just fed off of the biofilm I presume until I noticed them and after that I fed them first bites. Keep the water clean, feed often and he will grow quickly. Congrats!