Urgent Help Needed: Parasite Infection

1. SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Folks, all other mollies are fine, this guy has a strange thing protruding out of his gill(i believe), see attached pics. Not sure if its a plant twig or something coming out of the body. She is not swimming much.static at one point..not eating etc. 745418b427895dd5f63bdbf545c67ca1.jpg cd7b1cc91680f8baf324c7b70bc7f75e.jpg 05efb6df48ea36809d307fb65d2e016c.jpg 844847e42ca789e1f7db456d0ebdc899.jpg

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I haven't seen anything in person like this before, so it's mainly a bump. Maybe an anchor worm?

3. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Is that a parasite by any chance?

4. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Looks like worms to me :(

5. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

It looks to me like it has a green tint to it 'specially in the third photo. If you look to the right of the fish it looks like some of the same plant material laying on the substrate.

If it were me I would net the fish and check it out. No need to medicate if it is in fact just a piece of plant caught on his/her fin.

6. Rtessy

Yes, anchor worms are a parasite. I agree with @mattgirl, try netting the fish and using tweezers or something. If it's plant matter, it should come right off. If it's stuck in the gills, be very gentle. Anchor worms can also be pulled off with tweezers, but it sometimes causes damage. If you believe it to be a worm, you could also try a salt dip or bath.

7. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Took her out..tried to pull the twig sort of thing out, but it looks deep into her gill, had to put her back in the tank :( b848e3a56b2061049147b1b23ae61a33.jpg
    088c5b00f9d4477f192c195826322e1e.jpg

8. Rtessy

I'm sorry, I know that must have been stressful.
    Do you have any vets that work on fish near you? It may be worth a look.
    Give her a few hours, 3-4, then you can try a salt dip, 1tbsp per gallon for 5 minutes, but if she flips over or on her side and is unable to right herself, remove her immediately. You'll want two containers, one for the dip and one to put her in for a few minutes afterwards because she may discharge some slime coat and get more of the salt off

9. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Its green in color..i believe its a plant she ate and is stuck in her gill. Not sure if we need a parasite treatment? But i may be wrong

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

If it is a piece of plant, I would think it would decompose eventually. So if the fish seems healthy and unaffected, I would just keep an eye on it, but otherwise leave it alone.

11. Rtessy

If it's green, you're good. Best of luck!

12. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

Poor fella died :( . I did inspect him later, looks like an anchor worm. What can i donto prevent it from spreading on to others? Have put some salt..mixed in aquarium water few mins back

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry for your loss. I've never experienced anchor worms, but I would think there would be a med for that.

14. Rtessy

I'm very sorry for your loss, given how it was in the gill, I don't think there was more that you could have done. Often, anchor worms are on the body, so try and inspect your other fish for any sort of tendril or thread looking things on them. I haven't personally dealt with them, so I don't feel comfortable recommending a medication.

15. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

This is my follow up post, wherein i lost one molly last night. What seems to me is a parasite infection. Mollies, tetra neon & guppies in my tank. 45gal, ammonia and nitrite reads 0.
    Few symptoms: guppies seem fine, mollies are dull, some swimming vertical with lower fin tucked in. One of them show a darkish spot near the gill. Tetras look fine, but some of them have this white patch which is fungus type in nature.

Treatment so far; added anti parasite drops, and did a 20% water change. The moment i did that..the mollies started to move fast and looked happy.
    I have two filters, one internal and one canister, i believe the canister the filtering out all the meds as well. Few hours after adding the meds..the mollies went backnto the same ill state.
    Immidiately added rock salt dissolved in aquarium water. Now again they are active and happy. I have switched off the canister, only internal filter running.

Please sugest what else can be done here, dont want to loose them :(

16. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Would it be possible for you to post pictures? Also which med you used?

17. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

If you have chemical media in there could be taking out the meds, charcoal or purigen, something like that? You can pull it out so you don't have to stop running the filter.

18. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

It does have activated carbon. I ve turned on the other basic submersible filter for now

19. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

Just pull out the carbon and you can run it. The carbon takes out the meds.

20. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Valued Member Member

You want a pic of the fish? They are junping around at the moment..schooling etc. I used the below med from an LPS..not sure whats in it. cf208047e9f729df3ad63d718373353e.jpg e9951a8537c181629a04aa7ed89cdf58.jpg 55bbe7f0ac0338e3497225dc02511c1f.jpg