Urgent Help Needed Guppy Fry Dying At A Rapid Pace

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by D0bber, Apr 16, 2019.

1. D0bberNew MemberMember

Hey guys and gals. So the last 2 days my 6week old guppy fry have started dying at an alarming rate. about 30 already in one baby tank and 5 so far in my other baby tank. All water parameters are good I do regular feeding (varied foods) and regular water changes. Ive know idea why this is all of a sudden happening. Now I have noticed that there stomachs have become smaller than what they used to be but ive treated for anti parasite and disease away in the other tank to stop an outbreak but Im not sure its an internal parasite tho.. Could I be overstocked would it cause this problem now all of a sudden? I also had white spot ( clown loach) and cotton mouth( beautiful betta but was in the same tank as the clowns) could the net i was using or sphion or bucket have passed it on? Im baffled and cant find an answer anywhere. All help is appreciated as ever.

2. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

Are they eating or spitting out there food?

Any other changes besides smaller bellies?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2019
  3. D0bberNew MemberMember

They are eating and I've given micro worms. Even fry food. Everything was going perfect until a couple days ago. Only thing that has been different is my betta got cotton mouth and loach got whitespot a day or 2 before they all started dying. But they are in separate tanks. I have no idea what is going on

The only other thing is they swim sideways for a while then upside down sink to the bottom and go grey.. a few hours later there dead. I've never encountered such an amount of losses like this before. I use prime aswell.

4. GiulWell Known MemberMember

I’ve heard that shared equipment can pass on diseases. What are your exact water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) and could you post some pictures of the worst ones? Your nitrates would tell us if your tank is overstocked

5. D0bberNew MemberMember

Ya I'll do that now I'll do a fresh test for ye to see and I'll have it uploaded within an hour.

So Nitrate is less than 5
    Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0

Pics are all of the worst tank and the other baby tank is not as bad but about 8 dead in 3 days so didn't take a picture of them...

20190417_011753.jpg20190417_011714.jpg20190417_011720.jpg20190417_011729.jpg20190417_011730.jpg20190417_011732.jpg20190417_011747.jpg20190417_011750.jpg20190417_011751.jpg

6. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

Do they spend time at the bottom sorta leaping into the water and falling? If so a damaged swim bladder may be the cause which can cause terrible swimming and even death. They also may be stressed. Doesn't seem there s anywhere for them to hide.

Edit: The symptoms honestly to me sound like a severe case of a faulty swim bladder they were born with.

7. D0bberNew MemberMember

No they wouldn't spend much time on the bottom at all really. All appear fine until there upside down. I thought of seim bladder but kinda had it ruled out. I was thinking of the no hiding spots but they have been in there for 3 weeks at least with no problems until a few days ago so figured that wouldn't be it either. I can throw in some fake plants and see if it helps

8. Skullkong101Valued MemberMember

Fake plants may help. If they spend time on the bottom frantically flapping there fins it does sound like a swim bladder issue. If not then I'm stumped. Do the dead have a parasite escape from there body some time after death?

Edit: made m ore clear.

9. D0bberNew MemberMember

I've watched and never seen any parasite at all only thought it might be because of the bellies getting smaller. They don't usually show any signs of swim bladder at all. I just cant figure it out. Could be just very unlucky and caught a disease off the net I was using and I was to late with treatment but itd be the first time it's ever happened to me. I dunno I just cant figure it out at all. Like all tanks were cycled we feed good food they have good water. I've admitted to myself I'm gonna lose them all at this stage unless disease away does its job very quick. All my nets are now washed in boiling water after every tank. Don't wanna take any precautions after this