Urgent help needed for my darling dojo loach.

Weatherlouise98

Hello! I have had my dojo loach for about a year now and he’s never had any problems. I recently bought him a tank mate as I found out that he needs company and I’m planning on getting another one!! The problem is that recently I noticed my albino dojo loach has been floating to the top of the tank like he’s a balloon. When I looked at him he had a small swollen part where I imagine his stomach was. I quickly soaked two/three peas and fed them to him and he seemed to be fine then. Fast forward a few days and he has the same problem but this time his stomach and anus has a blue/green tinge to it and it’s extremely swollen. I’ve attached a few photos and videos but I couldn’t get better ones seeing as he likes to hang out at the bottom of the tank. He’s eating okay and doesn’t seem to be in pain but it’s hard to tell. I recently put new gravel in the tank, it had black rocks before and I changed it to sand because I heard they like to bury themselves. I washed the sand 6 times before I put it in and made sure to get fine gravel so they don’t scratch up their bellies. Also did a 50% water change yesterday as I noticed a bit of algae on the sides. Is algae bad for dojo loaches? I haven’t done any nitrate tests as I’ve no idea how to do that but they’ve always been happy in the water I have. Also used a water safe solution before I put them in new water I have a pic of that added too. I really don’t want to lose my dojo loach I’ve had too much heartbreak this year already please please help me!
If you can’t see the pictures properly I have a video that might be better but I didn’t know how to post in this !

A201

Off hand the problem looks to be a minor prolapsed anus. The fact the loach continues to eat is a good indicator of recovery.
No known meds for a prolapse. Be a good idea to fast the loach for a few days. Hopefully the prolapse will retract.
Sounds like you are doing a good job managing the situation. Hope things get better soon.

Upvote 0

Weatherlouise98

Off hand the problem looks to be a minor prolapsed anus. The fact the loach continues to eat is a good indicator of recovery.
No known meds for a prolapse. Be a good idea to fast the loach for a few days. Hopefully the prolapse will retract.
Sounds like you are doing a good job managing the situation. Hope things get better soon.

hey thanks so much for the reply! I did some research and I put him in a bath of Epsom salts, 1 teaspoon to 3.7 liters and kept him in there for 30 mins. Looked into the tub and he had passed poo so the prolapse is gone thank god. Gonna take your advice and not feed him for the next 2 days to completely clear his gut. Also thinking of giving him another bath tomorrow just to make sure he releases all the gunk in him. Fingers crossed and thank you for the feedback!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JuiceBox52
  • Question
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
Roses