Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaSpace

Reaction score
Hi, firstly I would like to apologise for bothering you again as i made a post about 1 week ago about a similar issue.

At the time of the last post, one of my fish (female blue ram) had passed away with little warning along with a new SAE (which was expected as it was new). That is where i thought it would end, but no.

Yesterday, whilst doing my daily feed, I noticed one of my swordtails floating lethargically on the top like it was trying to get some oxygen. I dismissed it and switched the light of for the night. Sadly, the little fella passed away during the night and was floating on the top. Once again i thought this was a one off and proceeded to complete my weekly 20% water change. Everything seemed fine for the rest of the day until I noticed all of my guppies swimming slower than usual. This was when I started to worry. As I didnt want to change the water again, i had dinner and completed some work. The next time I went to have a look at the tank, one of the guppies was floating lethargically exactly like the swordtail and the other guppies were swimming slowly still.

There are no symptoms whatsoever on any fish other than it being lethargic hours before it dies so im guessing it rules out some diseases.

I use interpret tap safe in my tank and that is the only product i have put in other than TSS bacteria back in december. All fish have been fine up until now.

Ammonia: pretty much 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <20ppm
General Hardness: 142ppm
Oxygen: sufficient (air pump venturi x2 and 1 air stone)
Water change: 1/week
Vacuum: 1/month
Tank: Boyu allpondsolutions 250L/55g

Fish: (52 as of now including lethargic guppies)
15 diamond neon tetras
4 neon dwarf gouramis
1 bulldog pleco
8 cherry barbs
4 swordtails
5 cory cats
4 SAE
10 guppies
1 male blue ram

This is getting me really worried for the little fellas and the amount of time and money I have spent doing this. I have followed this by the manual and my tank was fully cycled before i put fish in. No symptoms of disease, water params are fine and not overstocked... WHAT SHOULD I DO????

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big is the tank?
What does pretty much 0 for ammonia mean
Diamond tetras or neon tetras or diamond head neons?

Last edited:

Mary765

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Amy chance you could have got a chemical in there? Did you forget to condition your tap water one day? Have any parameters changed suddenly? Do you wash your hands with warm water (no soap) before you handle your aquarium?

SeaSpace

Reaction score
How big is the tank?
What does pretty much 0 for ammonia mean
Diamond tetras or neon tetras?
1. 250L/55g
2. only the slightest tint of green hard to see at any angle on the api strip test kit
3. they were advertised as diamond neon tetras at the LFS, they look like neons but with the brightest blue at the head.

SeaSpace

Reaction score
Amy chance you could have got a chemical in there? Did you forget to condition your tap water one day? Have any parameters changed suddenly? Do you wash your hands with warm water (no soap) before you handle your aquarium?
I try to never place any chemicals anywhere near any buckets i use and i have not forgotten to condition my tap water to this day. I don't usually wash my hands specially before taking things out as most of the time i have already washed them after doing something else about 1o minutes before. Normally how it works with me lol

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with the above. The API test kit is way more reliable than the strips.

Firstly I would do a 50% change and see if your guppies perk up a bit. I also think that a 20% weekly change is probably not enough of a change based on your tank.

Also if you would like to discuss them you have a few stocking issues.

SeaSpace

Reaction score
Sometimes the test stripes are not very accurate.

Firstly I would do a 50% change and see if your guppies perk up a bit. I also think that a 20% weekly change is probably not enough of a change based on your tank.

Alright, i'll look into getting the api test kit tomorrow, also with the stocking issues, go ahead! I am open for improvement!

Greg F

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok. 52 is a lot of fish for a 55 gallon. 55 gallons is likely only 48 to 50 gallons of water. You can probably keep that many but you will have to be extra vigilant in your maintenance and it really reduces your room for error. If something goes wrong it will go wrong quickly. I bet if you get a test kit you will find your ammonia is high.

Next , 4 dwarf gouramis are likely to become territorial and fight in a tank of that size. Truly they are best kept as singles . Again , if you are well planted with lots of caves you have a chance but I think this could be troublesome.

If I were you I would rehome 3 of the dwarf gouramis and either the SAE's or the swordtails , get the ram a partner and add another two or 3 corries of the same species.

The neons would likely appreciate water cooler than everyone else too but probably not mission critical.

Just a thought..

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It does really sound like a water quality issue. Maby not just my 2 cents.

devin s.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Water quality is bad as a result of too small of a change for such a big tank. 20% may get you by if you had fewer fish, but you are overstocked, and have most likely too much waste that you aren't getting out of the tank.

SeaSpace

Reaction score
Ok. 52 is a lot of fish for a 55 gallon. 55 gallons is likely only 48 to 50 gallons of water. You can probably keep that many but you will have to be extra vigilant in your maintenance and it really reduces your room for error. If something goes wrong it will go wrong quickly. I bet if you get a test kit you will find your ammonia is high.

Next , 4 dwarf gouramis are likely to become territorial and fight in a tank of that size. Truly they are best kept as singles . Again , if you are well planted with lots of caves you have a chance but I think this could be troublesome.

If I were you I would rehome 3 of the dwarf gouramis and either the SAE's or the swordtails , get the ram a partner and add another two or 3 corries of the same species.

The neons would likely appreciate water cooler than everyone else too but probably not mission critical.

Just a thought..
Thank you for the suggestions! I was reassured by my LFS and another forum some time ago that my stock level was fine and i could even add a few more fish on top of that... apparently not, not so trusting anymore of the staff. Also, I was a little aware about the dwarf gouramis fighting issues but when asked at the lfs and reading some forums, it seemed ok with only some 'scraps' now and then. For me, I may have just gotten lucky but it is a lot less frequent than that with only tiny 'scraps' at feeding time when i feed less. They are all fine other than that. I have 2 caves, 5 live plants, a small ornament crate, and over 10 plastic plants.

I keep my tank generally at 25c as it is closest to all of the ideal fish's temps.

SeaSpace

Reaction score
Water quality is bad as a result of too small of a change for such a big tank. 20% may get you by if you had fewer fish, but you are overstocked, and have most likely too much waste that you aren't getting out of the tank.
Ok, would you suggest a gravel vacuum every week and what % water change would you recommend/week as well. The only reason I vacuum gravel once per month is because of how long it takes. My tank has quite the surface area on the bottom which takes me about 1-2 hours each time, this doesnt help that fact that i have loads of ornaments so i cant get to the gravel easily either.

SeaSpace

Reaction score

Just a thought..

Ok, results are interesting. Firstly I would like to say that sadly the little buddy died just 5 minutes ago . I went to the LFS and bought the API liquid ammonia test and nitrite and ammonia is actually 0ppm, tested for the 5 minutes it recommended. Nitrite, GH and Nitrate are all the same as in the post description. At least we can rule ammonia/overstocking/water params out. Also, I have noticed a symptom of popeye on one of my yet unaffected by lethargy fish, my male blue ram. There is a huge white bulge underneath one of the eyes and it is popping out about 2x further than the other eye. This has gotten me worried now. I cant quite tell whether this is the case on any of my other fish as they are quite hyperactive. The fish that has died I will take a photo of as well as my tank in general and my male blue ram. Thank you once again for the help!

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You only need to do a part of your gravel each week, not the whole thing. Plan on doing 1/4-1/3 of your bottom each week. Over the month, it will all get done, but not all at once. I would do at least 50 percent water changes each week with that many fish ... at minimum. I have 3 goldfish in my 46 gallon and do 60-80 percent WC each week.

SeaSpace

Reaction score
You only need to do a part of your gravel each week, not the whole thing. Plan on doing 1/4-1/3 of your bottom each week. Over the month, it will all get done, but not all at once. I would do at least 50 percent water changes each week with that many fish ... at minimum. I have 3 goldfish in my 46 gallon and do 60-80 percent WC each week.
Alright, I will update my change schedule and amount. Thanks for the advice!

SeaSpace

Reaction score

Just a thought..
Sometimes the test stripes are not very accurate.
Tank looks like it has popeye... But what is causing it? None of my other fish have this btw, only my male blue ram.

Attachments

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Popeye is a symptom of an underlying infection, building up fluid behind the eye. Fish Pop-Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 28 66.7%

Top Bottom