Urgent Help Help Heater Malfunction

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Kuneria, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Kuneria

Kuneria New Member Member

I went to check on my male betta fish today and i found him sitting at the bottom of his tank like a pancake. I immediately reached my hand in there to scoop him out and the water was hot!!! Like i mean 92-95 degrees. He was still alive when i found him. I put him in a cup and he's currently floating in my community tank which is kept at 73 degrees. He's been in the cup overnight and he's still alive, but also still just sitting motionless on his side.

He's probably going to die, but i was wondering if maybe maybe there's a chance at saving him?? What would i have to do to help him?

I'm so bummed out he's one of my best bettas, so lively and cute and aaahhhhh

The tank he was in was a two gallon hex, filtered and over heated apparently. The heater i was using is a national geographic compact submersible heater mini-10w (non adjustable) I've been using it for almost a year. I don't know how long he was swimming in the fishy soup.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would take the heater out of his tank, change all of the water, and make the temp in his tank 73 degrees....for right now, that way he has room to swim around. See about getting him a bigger tank (5-10 gal), another heater and then put him in the new tank once it is cycled, and slowly adjust the temp to the correct temp.

3. OP
    OP
    Kuneria

Kuneria New Member Member

Augh, no good, he's belly up, still breathing, but he's unresponsive to anything. I suspect organ failure has already taken place. My poor baby, this happened so quickly

4. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Sorry :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice