Help Urgent Help For Juvenile Discus

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Hi, I just bought afew juvenile discus 3 months ago and they are growing well until recently some of the fish started to turn darker with clamp fins and tails starting to rot... I do a WC routine every week.

I did WC immediately and started treatment of Melafix 3-4 days ago but now I also notice 2 of the fish body have some serious scars on them so I am wondering if the meds are too strong for them... If anyone can help me out I will be very grateful, I have upload all the picture here.. Thanks for the help!

k6vgYJ5.jpg

9PRynDp.jpg

ap25WM8.jpg

DjqNjHx.jpg

raBFUZ3.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Dabaichi

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
What is the water volume of the tank? 160Litre
How long has the tank been running? Nearly 3 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 30 Degree Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 7 Juvenile discus

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once per week
How much of the water do you change? 80 - 90%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Bare Tank

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? No testing kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Everyday twice
How much do you feed your fish? 2 teaspoon
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraBits, HikarI Dried and Frozen Bloodworm
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish turn dark, fin rot
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Dark, loss of appetite

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Hi, I just bought afew juvenile discus 3 months ago and they are growing well until recently some of the fish started to turn darker with clamp fins and tails starting to rot... I do a WC routine every week.

I did WC immediately and started treatment of Melafix 3-4 days ago but now I also notice 2 of the fish body have some serious scars on them so I am wondering if the meds are too strong for them... If anyone can help me out I will be very grateful, I have upload all the picture here.. Thanks for the help!

k6vgYJ5.jpg

9PRynDp.jpg

ap25WM8.jpg

DjqNjHx.jpg

raBFUZ3.jpg
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
3,889
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Dabaichi said:
What is the water volume of the tank? 160Litre
How long has the tank been running? Nearly 3 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 30 Degree Celsius
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 7 Juvenile discus

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once per week
How much of the water do you change? 80 - 90%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Bare Tank

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No
What do you use to test the water? No testing kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Everyday twice
How much do you feed your fish? 2 teaspoon
What brand of food do you feed your fish? TetraBits, HikarI Dried and Frozen Bloodworm
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Fish turn dark, fin rot
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Melafix
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Dark, loss of appetite

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
Your water probably has high ammonia, nitrites, nitrates if you didn't cycle your tank. What was in the tank before you put the Discus in there?
You really need a test kit so you know what your water is doing. ESPECIALLY with sensitive fish like Discus. You got one of the most difficult aquarium fish there is to keep healthy. They will not survive in hard alkaline water which may be another problem you have. Get a good liquid test kit that measures pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates and a kit that measures water general hardness (GH) and Carbonate hardness (KH). The API Freshwater Master test kit and the API GH/KH test kits are really good kits. Where (what country/ region) are you from? Where did you buy those Discus?
 

wem21

Well Known
Member
Messages
746
Reaction score
235
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Experience
5 years
Finrot is due to bad water, I would immediately do 2 back to back 70% water changes, and do 50% water changes everyday until you are cycled, you can read about the nitrogen cycle here https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Please get a test kit asap, they are really important in finding out what's wrong, I recommend the apI master test kit ()

Its usually not $80USD, you can walk into a petco or whatever and buy one for about half the price of what's listed on amazon
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Dabaichi

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Momgoose56 said:
Your water probably has high ammonia, nitrites, nitrates if you didn't cycle your tank. What was in the tank before you put the Discus in there?
You really need a test kit so you know what your water is doing. ESPECIALLY with sensitive fish like Discus. You got one of the most difficult aquarium fish there is to keep healthy. They will not survive in hard alkaline water which may be another problem you have. Get a good liquid test kit that measures pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates and a kit that measures water general hardness (GH) and Carbonate hardness (KH). The API Freshwater Master test kit and the API GH/KH test kits are really good kits. Where (what country/ region) are you from? Where did you buy those Discus?
I am from Singapore. But the fish was fine for afew months before this happen. Bought it from an aquarium shop and the fish will all healthy. Can I ask what are all these scary looking scars on the fish body? Are they parasites? Thanks!
9PRynDp.jpg


wem21 said:
Finrot is due to bad water, I would immediately do 2 back to back 70% water changes, and do 50% water changes everyday until you are cycled, you can read about the nitrogen cycle here https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
Please get a test kit asap, they are really important in finding out what's wrong, I recommend the apI master test kit ()

Its usually not $80USD, you can walk into a petco or whatever and buy one for about half the price of what's listed on amazon
What about those long scars? Do you know what is that? Thanks!
9PRynDp.jpg
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
3,889
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Dabaichi said:
I am from Singapore. But the fish was fine for afew months before this happen. Bought it from an aquarium shop and the fish will all healthy.
They don't die instantly. They get sick, fins get bad infection gets into their blood, then they die. It can take weeks. All things are "fine" until they're not fine anymore!
Get test kits, do water changes. We can help you but only if you can get the information we (aand you) need to do that. Read the link wem21 gave you above aboot the nitrogen cycle. You need to know that stuff.
 

wem21

Well Known
Member
Messages
746
Reaction score
235
Location
Melbourne, Australia
Experience
5 years
Dabaichi said:
What about those long scars? Do you know what is that? Thanks!
9PRynDp.jpg
I'm no discus expert, but it looks like its either injured itself in a fight with another fish or injured itself by scraping against something sharp

Just do the 70% back to back water changes and do 50% every day until the aquarium cycles and you should be fine

Momgoose56 what do you think?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Dabaichi

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Momgoose56 said:
They don't die instantly. They get sick, fins get bad infection gets into their blood, then they die. It can take weeks. All things are "fine" until they're not fine anymore!
Get test kits, do water changes. We can help you but only if you can get the information we (aand you) need to do that. Read the link wem21 gave you above aboot the nitrogen cycle. You need to know that stuff.
I see, so do you suggest I should stop the medication immediately? Thanks
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Dabaichi

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
wem21 said:
I'm no discus expert, but it looks like its either injured itself in a fight with another fish or injured itself by scraping against something sharp

Just do the 70% back to back water changes and do 50% every day until the aquarium cycles and you should be fine

Momgoose56 what do you think?
Its a bare tank so it got nothing to scrape against, would do the WC and buy a test kit later.. Problem is the shop is really far away so I wanted to know whether I should buy any meds before going.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Dabaichi

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Momgoose56 said:
No. The fish won't be fine wem21, I do know Discus. My brother breeds and shows them. They require extremely specialized care and pristine soft, acidic water. Discus are not the kind of fish you do fish-in cycling with unless their carcasses are serving as your source of ammonia. My guess is that the OP bought fish that were in tanks of augmented RO water and are now in regular tap water that may not be optimal.
HI can I check is this scars from a fight or its a parasites? Thank you and yes I am using regular tap water cos we don't have anything other than that in Singapore which is why I need to add Seachem Safe.

9PRynDp.jpg
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
3,889
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Dabaichi said:
Its a bare tank so it got nothing to scrape against, would do the WC and buy a test kit later.. Problem is the shop is really far away so I wanted to know whether I should buy any meds before going.
Maybe some kanamycin (kanaplex), API General Cure, API Fungus cure and some aquarium salt. We realt don't know what's going on with your fish yet. Those will take care of parasites, fungI and bacteria but until we can figure out what the problem is we won't start anything. See if you can return any of those medications if you don't use them.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Dabaichi

Dabaichi

New Member
Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
4
Momgoose56 said:
Maybe some kanamycin (kanaplex), API General Cure, API Fungus cure and some aquarium salt. We realt don't know what's going on with your fish yet. Those will take care of parasites, fungI and bacteria but until we can figure out what the problem is we won't start anything. See if you can return any of those medications if you don't use them.
Alright, will update you people once I got the test kit. Thanks alot!
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,002
Reaction score
3,889
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Dabaichi said:
HI can I check is this scars from a fight or its a parasites? Thank you and yes I am using regular tap water cos we don't have anything other than that in Singapore which is why I need to add Seachem Safe.

9PRynDp.jpg
They could be injuries, but my guess is that it's a fungus. It would be very difficult for a fish to become injured along the base of the dorsal fin in a fight.

Dabaichi said:
Alright, will update you people once I got the test kit. Thanks alot!
YW! Travel safe!
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,388
Reaction score
6,779
Location
Long Island
Experience
More than 10 years
They are not scars it is the discus slime coat coming off the fish. As stated by everybody you need to change the water. At least 50%. What size tank? What’s happened is you probably have an ammonia build up or worse nitrites. The water needs to be changed daily or no more than every other day.
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
7,728
Reaction score
4,287
Location
Your Imagination
Experience
5 years
86 ssinit said:
They are not scars it is the discus slime coat coming off the fish. As stated by everybody you need to change the water. At least 50%. What size tank? What’s happened is you probably have an ammonia build up or worse nitrites. The water needs to be changed daily or no more than every other day.
160L/42G
Start doing the biggest water changes you can, as often as you can
 

tiffani

Active Member
Member
Messages
175
Reaction score
100
Location
Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello dabaichi
I would advise 25-50% changing your water b4 treating them with general cure & erythromycin & ick x, not at same time, one after the other. Follow directions on box. Water changes are not medication and even though the water conditions may be the cause of disease, they don’t treat existing conditions. A dr would find underlying problem, them medicate to cure it, not let you leave sick.
Otherwise, they may not survive on water changes alone cause your not clearing the infection. They can handle treatment, I treated mines, they were fine. After treatment, change water and add carbon, purigen or chemipure- something to remove medicine from the water. My baby discus do not like 90-100% water changes, they turn black if I do major water change, I do 30-50% water changes they seem to tolerate real well.

Or you can take to a veterinarian specialist in aquatics. They can determine exactly what the discus have and medicate for that.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
216
Guests online
3,562
Total visitors
3,778

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom