Urgent Help For Adf

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ChapouJunior, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ChapouJunior

ChapouJunior Valued Member Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Please help me with that wound. I don't know what it is, someone on the forum helped me a lot but still can't figure what it is. I have no quarantine tank so I can't put her aside.. It's getting worst, yesterday it was smaller than that. It seems like a tumour or something and today I notice my bolivian ran trying to bit her at thay place. I have no idea what to do... It's so sad for her..

[​IMG]
    One more picture

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I would take it out. You can change water daily. Right now the poor thing has a target on him. What temperature does your house stay at? I know I have that one interior bathroom that is always 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. If you can keep him above 70*F in any kind of container, that is what I would do. Good luck.

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks painful, you can use anything as a temporary quarantine tank, take some of your old filter media and put it in a new filter, and connect it in a tubberware container and you have quarantine now. I agree with kimberly to have really good water quality to help heal her. It could be an injury, an abscess or tumor growth of some sort. What other tank mates did she use to have? If the bolivian ram was trying to bite her, he could have injured her before too and it could of gotten infected. I usually recommend ADF be in a species only tank due to their poor eye sight.

4. KimberlyG

@ChibiMonkey with what you've been through with yours, can you offer any help?

5. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

It's always around 20 degrees. I could try that, I might ask my dad because he has a 5gallon tank (but he lives 1 hour away) I could maybe use it and I have a 20gallons AC i could put in it.

I have 2 adfs, 1 BR, 1 DG, 5 Guppies and 6 nerite snails. The other adf is totally fine and fishes don't bother them at all. I feed them directly with my turkey baster everyday so I know they eat properly. I just gave her food right now and she ate. Redshark told me it could be a tumor too.. Should i get medecine even if im not a fan ?

6. KimberlyG

I was trying to see a picture of your tank to see if there was any way of securing a new plastic container (Zip-Loc, Glad etc) in the corner of your tank. The tank water would keep it warm and you could keep a better eye on him. Daily clean water changes of course but that only helps in healing. I asked someone who pulled her frog through an awful bad injury to take a look at this. Hopefully she pops on tonight.

7. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

I might be able to manage a small container, [​IMG]

I'll do a small water change right now and I'll vaccuum some gravel.
    Plus I have those bottles that my fad gave me when I started the hobby : [​IMG]
    Could it help? I'm not very familiar with disease, I called my dad he might come tomorrow with his 5 gallon tank.
    Good thing is that she ate, but she's not really moving today except when she needs air. Thanks already for your help by the way :)

8. KimberlyG

I have used both with success but it is topical (Herbal) The frog needs something different. If Chibi doesn't chime in soon, I'll go track down that thread and see what was done for the infection. (Foot almost taken off, three toes missing, nasty infection set in)

This is what I was talking about (Can't believe I ruined a brand new container and moved my frog for a photo op. lol)

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Oh okay I see, I'm trying to find answers on google but it's not very helpful.. But wow that's a big wound, did it survived?

10. KimberlyG

Yes, she did get it to pull through. Leg looks great. (Different, but great)

11. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

That make me feel a little better. Don't want to lose her, my girlfriend and I get attached easily to our fishes lol..

12. ChibiMonkey

ChibiMonkey Valued Member Member

Your poor baby!!

I would immediately remove her and put her in a quarantine tank. Literally anything can be used as one, and if you'd rather have a proper tank, Petco is doing their $1 per gallon sale and anything from 1-3 gallons would be a perfect quarantine for her, especially since the wound is right by her front leg and might affect her swimming as it gets better. That's what I had for my Eurydice. Just be sure and change the water daily because it's small.

Honestly with frogs, usually medicine is a last resort (because most fish medicines are made for, Y'know, fish), but I'd definitely intervene and try some with her now. Frog wounds, left untreated, will form a fungus "scab," and the fungus will eventually kill them. Your frog's wound is still fresh which means your ram might be trying to eat her now. :(

For Eurydice, who already had the fungus, I treated her with aquarium salt (three grains daily the first week, then three grains every two days), Pimafix (daily, just a drop), and Melafix (daily, one drop). I changed her water 100% every day.

It's possible you could try Maracyn 1 or Maracyn 2, or Malachite Green. All of those were recommended to me by various people (especially @marijo , do you have any suggestions?) but all I had available to me were the Pimafix and Melafix because of my work. I also target fed her even in the tiny tank, which might be a good idea with yours so her shoulder doesn't rub against or stretch the wound as she swims. Mine only ate brine shrimp for a week (she refused to eat anything else) so keep in mind you may have to prepare her food separately from your main tank's for a while. Many medicines are not safe for snails so you really are going to need to quarantine her. I would also put some money aside for a new tank as well - if your ram bit her in the first place, he may do it again once she's better and this cycle will repeat, so either housing the frogs separately from the fish or upgrading to a bigger tank and increasing the amount of hides may be in order.

13. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

Oh god, here at Canada a 5 gallons is 35 dollars with a top... Well at Big al's and Petsmart it is.. I wish it would be that cheap lol, my father is coming tomorrow with his 5 gallons at least, I'll put her in the tank tomorrow, should I remove her today tho? I don't have anything today to put her in.

I'm watching her closely today the ram don't bother her, I think he just bit her once when I was giving them food, maybe he thought it was food since there's blood on the wound idk... Never saw my Ram touch anything, I had them for 3 weeks and he never bother them at all, same thing for my other fishes. I'll target feed her once she will be in the quarantine tank for sure, and yes, you are right, she seems to have trouble swimming to the top because of the wound. Thank you so much for all the help guys, really appreciated!

She's staying at the surface.. She's not doing well poor thing..

14. ChibiMonkey

Ouch. Does Petco not extend into Canada? Normally our 5g tanks are like $30 too ($15 for just the tank, no lid, and $30-50 for a kit) so Petco's sale is super amazing.

I would keep a close eye on her tonight. From the time of writing until you go to bed, if it looks like the wound got worse, pull her out and put her in a deep Tupperware container (the ones that look like tubs) in a warm room, or even in a betta cup floating in the big tank, if you have one (those cups are so useful), if there's no other option. You could even float the Tupperware tub in the big tank just to keep the water warm (just be sure your big tank has a lid and can close properly over everything).

I wouldn't fill the 5g all the way when your dad drops it off, if she's having trouble swimming. It might be too far a swim for her. I'd also place some kind of decor for her to rest on that reaches near the top of the water line (broad leaf plants are great at that), and a small hide. That's all I put in my sick tank, no substrate or anything (which also helps to see if she's pooping, shedding, and eating). Keep us posted!

If she's stopped swimming and is just laying around near the surface, honestly I'd put her in a Tupperware tub and float it in the tank tonight. The tub will keep her feeling a bit more relieved, since it's much more shallow than the tank, and keeping the tub in the tank eliminates the need to find a lid and a heater and all that jazz.

Make sure she eats something tonight, and when you catch her to put her in the tub, use your hands if you normally use a net. I recommend using hands normally because frogs are so delicate, but in this case the net could be abrasive on her wound and make it worse.

[​IMG]

Something this shape, for a Tupperware tub. It doesn't need to be huge, even six inches long would be okay as long as it's a bit deep like these. I'd fill the tub 4/5ths of the way full. You may need to take a bit of water out of your tank (besides what goes in the tub) to avoid spillage.

15. OP
    OP
    ChapouJunior

I don't think so, never seen one around.

& Okay good idea! I'll fill around 2 gallons of the tank, and I'll do what you did with the medecine and salt. She's staying on a big leave of one of my real plants that I have in my tank. I'm trying to find something that I can put her in. The wound don't seem worst at least, and just gave her one small bloodworm and she ate it. At least thats a good thing. Thank you so much for the help, I'll keep you guys posted! :)

16. ChibiMonkey

Np. I'm obsessed with these little goobers (I even posted my own "help! ADF!!" thread about a month ago about a frog I rescued from work whose foot got stuck in the filter) and I'm a huge animal lover. So glad to have found this forum, because a lot of my customers have that "oh it's JUST a fish/frog/snail/etc" and it drives me bonkers.

PetSmart (and I may or may not work at a pet store with "pet" in the name) sells Pimafix and Melafix in store and aquarium salt, but the only places I've even seen Maracyn or Malachite Green is online. (I could just have poorly stocked stores near me though tbh)

17. KimberlyG

There is a PetCo Canada in Ottawa. Located in the Huntsman shopping center or Hunt something. There are not many. There are only two in Ontario.

18. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry your frog is not well, I would also put her in a small container in the big tank ans start to treat her as soon as you can, you can used the Melafix and Pimafix you already have as suggested by ChibiMonkey, if you can, I would try to get some stronger medicine like Maracyn two, it might be available at Big al's or Petsmart, i'm not sure

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  19. ChibiMonkey

Are Maracyn 1 or 2 known by any other names? I tried looking them up for Eurydice but Amazon doesn't carry anything with that name

20. marijo

marijo Well Known Member Member

through amazon, it's seems only available from Fritz Aquatic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice