Urgent Help/advice Needed: 29 Gallon + Fish

xcalibreplcp

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope everyone is having a good week.

I recently planted and stocked a 29 gallon tank (30.25x12.5x18.75). It was an emergency.

Only cycled 24 hours (had two tanks break during our move).

I wont be able to get a 50 gallon for another 30 to 60 days.

I'm concerned my ammonia levels may spike.

Im running two filters:

1. Aqueon Quiet Flow 20
2. Fluval UI (Previously Precycled in a well established aquarium)

Tank is not heavily planted but planted enough to offer hiding spots to make half of the fish invisible.
Plant names: not sure but I have sword tails and some other low light varieties (all from other tanks).

The fish (no problems yet):

1 gold german ram cyclid
1 gold gourami (was concerned about agression but he/she is pretty tame ... no bullying... lived w other gouramis in my other tank)
2 dwarf gouramis
6 rasboras (getting one more)
5 neon tetras
5 sterbas corys
3 glofish danios (we are taking care of them for the next 2 weeks for my neighbor's kid... theyll be gone soon).

Tank is a steady 80 degrees
PH 7ish.... I want it around 6.8
HOW SCREWED AM I?

Should/Can I feed every other day to avoid an ammonia spike?

Daily 10% water change?

Will the plants help with ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

Will chemicals?

Thanks in advance

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So sorry to hear about the broken tanks! In a pinch, add some Amquel Plus directly to the tank. No need to stress the fish out by starving them or doing huge water changes. Amquel Plus can decrease oxygen, but I think you'll be all right. You don't have to do the full dose. Hang in there!

xcalibreplcp

Reaction score
No. My friends are normal people with lives. I chose fish to fill the dark hole that once held my little black heart.

I do have seachem!
Any chance you have a friend with a spare filter sitting in an established tank?

Seachem Stability can help with the sudden increase in bioload, and it's pretty safe. A sponge filter could help too. Biggest thing is monitoring.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom