Urgent Help: Added Gravel, Cloudiness

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm finishing Fishy Boris's tank today. (He's out of the aquarium.) I removed more than half the water. I washed the gravel in a bucket with just water, three times. I didn't expect this cloudiness. It's already settling. I wonder, though, once it settles, will it stay settled?

Super help, please, and whatever advice you care to offer.

Oh - I'm also planting the plants during this process. So there's that.

Thanks!

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's natural for it to be cloudy when adding gravel but it should settle in 24 hours. If it doesn't then that's not good. Bit if you say it's already settling then you should be fine! It will also stay settled unless stirred again.

And planting also stirs things up a bit.

Best of wishes for your tank and fish!

Georgie Girl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Goldfishfreak said:
It's natural for it to be cloudy when adding gravel but it should settle in 24 hours. If it doesn't then that's not good. Bit if you say it's already settling then you should be fine! It will also stay settled unless stirred again.

And planting also stirs things up a bit.

Best of wishes for your tank and fish!
Thanks, freak. I hope you're right, Otherwise, I've got to get him a new aquarium. It's black and it's nasty.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Georgie Girl said:
Thanks, freak. I hope you're right, Otherwise, I've got to get him a new aquarium. It's black and it's nasty.
Np. If it's started to clear by 24 hours then it will be fine. If your impatient and it's kind of cloudy but better you can do a water change and that usually helps.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah you're going to have cloudiness upon adding new gravel to your aquarium, there's nothing you can do about that. Next time, make sure you wash your gravel before adding really well. What I would do is wait about 24 hours, do a MAJOR water change like 80%, make sure your filters have some activated carbon, and the water should clear up nicely.

Brannor

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have run plenty of water through both the gravels in my tanks and I've not been able to get rid of all the dust. But both cleared up after a day or two - really depends on how good your filter is at clearing fine particles.

-G

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Brannor said:
I have run plenty of water through both the gravels in my tanks and I've not been able to get rid of all the dust. But both cleared up after a day or two - really depends on how good your filter is at clearing fine particles.

-G
Well that's somewhat true yes, but all gravel is different. Try this, grab some filter floss, or some sponge of some sort, or if you have an extra sponge filter laying around, and attach it to the intake of your filter. This will act as a polisher and it will clear up your tank real quick. You can also make your own polisher out of a water bottle, some media, and filter floss.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom