URGENT: Gold Ram cannot open mouth

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have a little Gold Ram in an established QT, she has been there about 10 days.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5, pH 6.6, Temp 79F

She has been constantly loosing weight (her stomach is now inverted), hanging at the surface and has bright red gills which are always open and I can see inside under her Gill cover to her gills at all times. She coloured up then lost the colour after around 3 days (although she still has some). I have never seen her open her mouth and have just closely watched her try to eat for the first time. She swims over to the food so fast (then I have half watched her, half carried on feeding the others as she eagerly went over) nudges the food but never opens her mouth at all. It is open about 1mm. I have watched her for a couple of hours now and her mouth appears as though it cannot open or close at all. It just doesn't move.

Please help me to help her!

2. GgAcE Member Member

Possible pictures by chance? I can't fully picture what it is you are describing. How long have you had the ram? Although she is in an established QT, how "clean" or "new" is THAT water? Keep in mind that rams prefer older water.

Although the mouth has not opened, can you see any signs of rotting or fungus?

Additionally, no strange spotting of any color (not so much ich but spotting in general)?

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I will try and get some photos, they're all very blurry so I might have to do a video. What is it you are wanting to look at gills or mouth? I am going to try and get both and one of her but what is preferred?

I have had her for the 10 days she has been in QT, I know I should have been keeping a closer eye on her.

I keep aged water for her tank. I have a 50 litres of 2 week old water (I have been using another tank with prime, filter and heater to age the water, is this okay?) is that old enough?

There is no signs of damage at all, she looks normal aside from the gills and loss of colour, no abnormal colouration but very abnormal behaviour. She hangs unless I feed her. I will try feeding her to get a picture/video.xx

EDIT: how often should a fish "bob"? by that I mean open their mouth.x

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

PHOTOS; any help?
    WP_20140729_003.jpg WP_20140729_004.jpg

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Bump! Very flared gills today!!

6. HappyKnitter Member Member

hollie1505 now in my goldfish book it says gills swollen open it is always fluke infestation but in some rare cases is bacterial gill disease and sometimes often occur together.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thank you so much. I will look into treatment now.xx