URGENT Gill Flukes

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have been having problems with my new tiny gold ram who is in QT. She is in an established QT (a recently vacated tank) She has wide open Gills which are bright red, she is hanging around the surface but is unable to open or close her mouth making eating impossible.

She has not eaten since I got her 10 days ago, I have never seen her mouth open, or closed or seen her "bob". Only yesterday I watched her attempt to eat food after eagerly swimming over and she can only nudge it. I have tried flakes, pellets, crushed flakes, crushed pellets, live bloodworms, Tetra Delica Daphnia... anything I can think of all coated in vitachem or garlic guard and I have been treating her tank with Vitazin as she is a newbie.

What should I treat her with?

In my cupboard I have Paraguard, Melafix, Pimafix, methylene blue, kanaplex, disease clear, fungus clear, fin rot and fungus cure, white spot and velvet cure, swim bladder cure. Can I use any of these as treatment? If not, what do I need to buy?

I don't know if the mouth problem and gill flukes are connected? It appears she has a deformity of the mouth (there are no blockages, swelling, fungus, rotting, discoloured parts) and I have to ask a horrible question... Is it worth trying to treat her if she will starve to death anyway or does this deformity hinder her chance of life?

Can I save her or is it too late?

Any help, advice, support is greatly appreciated. Thank you.xx

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What are the water parameters in your QT tank? Was she like that at the store as well?? She must be able to eat somehow, or she would have starved as a baby.

3. HappyKnitter Member Member

hollie1505 I am sorry I think its a little late for your little ram . If it is not eatiing it is hard for it to get some type of medicated food.. I have seen large koi and goldfish get entubated for fluids and given shots when they had flukes. and it was very expensive and still some did not survive.

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Parameters are0,0,16 pH 6.6

I didn't notice her mouth in the LFS and she hid for the first few days.

I think it is her time to go. I think she has lost the fight within her and is just suffering now.

Would euthanizing her be appropriate at this point? Her gills are open at a constant 90 degree angle.

Thank you.xxx

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Edit: nitrates 15, she is only half an inch long... If that.x

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Try the paraguard. If she has flukes, they might not be restricted to her gills, and could be causing her difficulty eating. If I remember correctly, paraguard treats external parasites among other things. Metronidazole is one of the ingredients, is it not? And the other is also a dewormer. Treatment for flukes, or parasitic trematodes, is not internal and should be dosed in the water.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thank you. I'll give it a go.xxx

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Let us know if she improves :) Hopefully she'll do better with the treatment.

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I do hope so. She's so beautiful and so tiny that I somehow feel more protective and responsible for her than all the others. She is my little baby and I've always wanted a Ram.

I just don't want her to suffer needlessly. I will see how she gets on over night. I have dosed paraguard. Does it affect the cycle? I don't really care at this point, it's just something I want to be aware of.

I am going to take it day by day, hour by hour. If I feel she is getting worse, I feel it's time.xx

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I never had any problems with Paraguard affecting V's cycle. It is malachite green and aldehyde I believe, I am not aware of metro being in the mix but could be off.

Good luck, Hollie :(

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

So far, no improvement but she's still with us so I'm taking that as a positive :) I hope she'll pull through but I am doubting her strength to fight this.

It's hard to watch them suffer not knowing what to do for the best. When I got her she wasn't in good shape so I knew something was off but I really hoped she would be okay once I brought her home. All I want is for her not to suffer. I feel like she's looking at me so deep into my eyes, trying to say something but I can't tell what!x

12. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Most aquarium meds don't affect the cycle. Glad she's still with you! It can sometimes take a while for meds like this to work, then you have to count in recovery time. Just make sure to follow the directions on the medication :)

13. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Hollie, sorry about your ram :(

If it is a mouth deformity, there's not too much that can be done. Can you please mention if his mouth is stuck open or closed ? In Flowerhorn fish, there is a condition called "duck lips" where the lips are infected by a bacterial infection due to their aggressiveness and in result of an injury when fighting and locking lips. The threads I have read in past where members describe their fish's mouth either stuck open or closed have similar symptoms as when FH fish have duck lips. If it is a bacteria issue, an antibiotic is needed to treat. Best of luck.

14. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Still no improvement, but again, she is still here.

It is almost stuck closed, it is very slightly open maybe by 0.5mm, ever so slightly. Not enough for her to do anything with. I am hoping and praying that the Paraguard will work. I have no idea of any other meds to try and also aren't sure if the flukes and mouth is connected. I hope it is, then I have a little hope in curing her. My main fear is curing the gill flukes then she dies of starvation anyway.

She's only a little larger than my biggest neon tetra. I am keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Thank you all.xx

EDIT: if her mouth is closed, could that be why her Gills are so far open? Like she can't breathe through her mouth so she is breathing in and out through her gills? I don't know how this works and I am pretty stumped.x

Her Gills (cannot get a clear one of her mouth) they are open at a right angle from her body.x
    WP_20140729_003.jpg WP_20140729_004.jpg

15. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

She took a 30 second swim around the tank today :D she looks the same and spent the rest of the day hanging around. I will try and get a video of her mouth. I still haven't seen it move at all, she looks like she's really struggling :(

16. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately Kim Kardashian West, the gold ram died yesterday.

RIP Kimmy.xxx

17. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

:( sorry Hollie, fish loss is always heartbreaking

18. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I'm really not having a good time keeping fish alive right now, they all seem to have something different too :( and no equipment is shared between any tank either so I know it's not cross contamination. On the plus side, the Goldies are thriving, at least there's some positivity in my tanks.xx