Urgent Fungal Question

1. easternsierra

easternsierra New Member Member

Hey guys-

I am on a long weekend out of town and my house sitter just texted me a photo of what looks to be fungal infection on a scale of my dumbo betta. It appears small, but definately fuzzy.

I'm not going to be back until Friday. She did a regular WC today, but I don't have any anti-fungal to treat.

Is he okay until I get back on Friday? Stress level is high. I have a photo but am on my mobile. I'll try and post tomorrow

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    easternsierra

4. Frisky2011

Frisky2011 New Member Member

Post the picture as soon as you can. I know for a fact (and from experience) that you shouldn't wait until you get back Friday from your trip to treat your betta.

(My common Goldfish, Frisky, has had Fin Rot & Mouth Rot, which led to (after 3 or 4 days of having just the mouth and fin rot) the advanced stages of Body Rot in the past (He could barely swim, was barely swimming and would just drift about the tank like a zombie, made me cry, actually), but was saved when I acted fast, went to Walmart and bought Jungle Fungus Clear, treated him with it, got & setup a 10 gal air pump, and after 2 or 3 days, he was perky and gradually the Rot began to disappear! He made a full recovery after about 2 or 3 doses of meds!)

Okay so first, do you have a Walmart or Store near your house or in the area where you live that's close? I definitely think you should ask your house sitter if they to go out to the store and try and find the Jungle Fungus Clear I mentioned earlier, if possible. (I did some research on some medicines safe for Bettas and Jungle Fungus Clear popped up as one)

Yes, there is also the possibility that it could be Columnaris. Has your betta experienced any stress at all recently? (Other than what a WC could've caused?)

5. OP
    OP
    easternsierra

I should have said my stress level is high. Bumble is acting normal, eating normally and not exposed to any abnormal stress. It looks like he somehow got a wound on his scale.

I unfortunately live in a national park, the closest store is 2.5 hours one direction. The earliest I could get medication is Wednesday. I can't get home either at this point, I'm so broken up about this.

6. Frisky2011

Don't lose hope! I was actually still in school at the time when Frisky was sick with worsening fin and mouth rot, and he was in my parents' care during the two agonizing days while I had to be at school away from Frisky, which still didn't help my mental state at all, so I understand completely how it feels to be away and unable to do anything while your fish's well being is in jeopardy(even if it is in someone else's care. My parents only tried to do salt water treatments, which were for ick, and they didn't try to do any research- I was the only one who tried, even when it was clear Frisky was dying- he was literally motionless for disturbingly long periods of time, and at one point my parents told me that he most likely wouldn't make it, and I had a mental breakdown from the stress of school work and for caring for Frisky. (BTW I should mention that we hadn't gotten an air pump yet, so that was most likely also a key issue, looking back.) And you know how I told you I went to Walmart and got the Jungle Fungus Clear? Sounded clean and simple, right? Well, I had to literally, after extensive research on Body rot and medicines for it: how i discovered Jungle Fungus Clear, while in a state of stubborn emotional exhaustion, beg my Mom to drive me to Walmart, to which she reluctantly agreed. Later next day, during school, I called and got my Mom to promise that she'd get an 10gal air pump from petsmart when she drove up to the mall while I was at school.). So, to wrap it up, he got better, and I learned a valuable lesson: pay attention to water conditions!!

Does your house sitter live a bit far away from your house (like live closer than you to a store that would sell Jungle Fungus Clear?) and just goes to your house and check in on Bumble (To feed and do water changes?), cause if so, then maybe they could stop at a store like Walmart (or even better at a Petsmart or Pet-co) for the medicine on their way to your house if they live closer to a store. It may seem like a desperate move (asking them to go out of their way to get the medicine), but it could be a valuable step closer to preventing Bumble's health from deteriorating before you can get back to properly treat him! And heck, even if they're your neighbor and live pretty close to you, I strongly feel that you definitely should ask them to go and get the medicine anyway. It could save your fish's life, if it ever gets to that point, which I hope it won't! Stay strong!

7. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

If he's still eating and acting normally, you should be ok until Wednesday (you said that was the earliest you could get medication, right?) If it is columnaris the best treatment is a combination of Kanamycin and nitrofurazone. Commonly used is Seachem Kanaplex (found on amazon and in some local fish stores but I've never seen it at Petsmart/petco) and jungle fungus clear (only at Walmart) and API furan-2 (Petsmart I believe) and tetra fungus guard. I just went through a bout of columnaris and the fish was fine for a few days before I could get the medication. Schooling with the other cories and never stopped eating or changed his energy level. So don't panic :)

Also, a pic will definitely help us. I'll tag a few people too for you :)

@KimberlyG
    @AllieSten

8. OP
    OP
    easternsierra

Wow thanks for all the encouragement everyone, it's making me feel better.

Am I suppose to use all those at once?!:confused: I have Kanaplex on hand but I'd have to go and get the other ones. I'm still out camping on a dirt road so can't upload pictures yet from me mobile.

9. Frisky2011

10. R

Sorry, no not all at once. You would use Kanaplex and one of the other 3 I mentioned, whichever is easiest to get.

11. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would start the Kanaplex now. Since you have it on hand. That way there is some treatment happening right away. Then you can get the nitrofurazone when you can. Kanaplex may take care of it all on its own.

12. OP
    OP
    easternsierra

Ok I was able to pick up the Furan-2 from a local pet store. I'll call and ask my roommate if they can at least start the Kanaplex. I feel bad having them dig around my fish supplies!

Does anyone know the dosing for Kanaplex? I have a 2.5G tank with a sponge filter, non planted.

13. R

It's 1 scoop (that is attached to the lid) for every 5 gallons

14. Frisky2011

Here's a few pics of the Kanaplex Box…
    Front:
    Kanaplex (front).jpg
    Back: (All the other instructions not in the pic for Dosage are in French, Italian, Portugeuse, etc.)
    Kanaplex box (Back).jpg
    So it would be half a scoop of Kanaplex.
    (1 scoop for 5 gallons.)
    1/2 a scoop for 2.5 gallons

And you since you said you have a sponge filter you should leave it up and running. (Check this site, which says that sponge filters are alright for hospital tanks.)

15. OP
    OP
    easternsierra

Thanks Frisky! Super helpful while I'm away. I'm finally on my computer so here's that photo, it's hard to see the fuzzy spot, but its's on his right side.

Lucky for me *sarcasm* there's a huge fire that knocked out power and phones to where I live. Buuuut our housing is on a generator because we're essential personnel. Win!

So through much stress and spotty service, my roommate was able to find the Kanaplex and start treatment!
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Frisky2011

Great!! I'm happy to have helped, and I hope Bumble is better by the time you get back to him! Good Luck! : )

17. OP
    OP
    easternsierra

Just wanted to update you guys who helped me out.

I was finally able to get home Friday after fire evacuation and road closures. At first I couldn't find Bumble and I freeeeaked out.

But then I was greeted with his big ole flaps and wiggly tail and NO FUZZ! He's gobbling food and acting like he usually would. It seems like the Kanaplex alone treated him. I'm still going to finish the full dose of Kanaplex (one more tomorrow) but not add the Furan-2.

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

18. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Fish font get fungal infections that is just eating the already dead tissue the root of the cause us always bacteria or damage to skin caused by parasite