Urgent- Fish Bleeding Important 

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello. So I am a beginner to this hobby, and this is the first time this has happened to me. A couple weeks back, we added two new guppies to my 20 gallon long tank. There are now 8 of them in about a 12 gallon section because I divided it for the fry. But today I came home to my prettiest male guppy bleeding and hovering in the water, judt barely swimming. Hes very weak and I fear he doesn't have much longer. What should I do?? He's out of the tank in a large cup for now. I don't know how this happened. I think the bleeding is internal. Did he run into something? As far as I know, none of them were aggressive. All guppies look fine. Yes, tank is cycled and everything seems normal. Please help! - Caroline
IMG_20181012_153930129.jpg
IMG_20181012_153925487.jpg

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also, I forgot to add that where he is bleeding, his side is almost bloated. Id greatly appreciate any help!

abcdefghi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are they all 0? Because if they are, then chances are you are not cycled. I don't however think that is what caused the injury to your fish, honestly, it will be almost impossible for anyone to be able to accurately tell you what happened to it.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
abcdefghi said:
Are they all 0? Because if they are, then chances are you are not cycled. I don't however think that is what caused the injury to your fish, honestly, it will be almost impossible for anyone to be able to accurately tell you what happened to it.
Yes, I've actually had this conversation before with someone but it seems I've had it going long enough that is it cycled? Perhaps it is the plants, because I have a few live ones. I'm not too sure but I do agree with you, just wanted to see if maybe someone had a similar experience! I'm honestly expecting him to not make it at this point.

abcdefghi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's possible, if you have enough live plants they will suck up the nitrates for sure.

I think most of us as fishkeepers know how you feel, it sucks when one gets sick or injured as it is almost always a guessing game as to what the issue is and how to resolve it. Good luck with him, hopefully he does heal up.

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Are there only guppies in the tank? Could he have gotten caught in the filter intake? Depending on the kind of filter you use, you might need a prefilter sponge to cover the intake to protect the rest of the fish.

Clean water and isolation in a qt tank is probably the best you can do for him for now, and maybe some preventive antibiotics to keep the wound from getting infected if you have something on hand. If he's beat up too badly there might not be much you can do for the poor guy, though.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
abcdefghi said:
It's possible, if you have enough live plants they will suck up the nitrates for sure.

I think most of us as fishkeepers know how you feel, it sucks when one gets sick or injured as it is almost always a guessing game as to what the issue is and how to resolve it. Good luck with him, hopefully he does heal up.
That's what I was thinking, thank you for confirming! And definitely, I appreciate the support and advice!! It really is frustrating since there's not a for sure way to determine what happened. I sure hope so too, thank you so much for everything!

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Briggs said:
Are there only guppies in the tank? Could he have gotten caught in the filter intake? Depending on the kind of filter you use, you might need a prefilter sponge to cover the intake to protect the rest of the fish.

Clean water and isolation in a qt tank is probably the best you can do for him for now, and maybe some preventive antibiotics to keep the wound from getting infected if you have something on hand. If he's beat up too badly there might not be much you can do for the poor guy, though.
That's true, I didn't think of the filter. However it doesn't seem to be very strong and my female guppies hang out back there sometimes. My ghost shrimp crawl all over it. But I suppose it could still possibly be it. I'm not sure which it is, but I'll let you know later if I can find out! Sounds good, thank you so much I appreciate it. I'll try my best to provide that for him. And you're right, I'll try my best.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Same thing happened to one of my male guppies. They can get pretty mean and a 12 gallon space may cause them to kinda get a bit wild. My guppy hovered and was bleeding and looked like yours except a bit worse. I can't confirm it was my other guppies who did it, but it was my only explantion. If it was the filter it would mean something was already wrong with him. Fish that get stuck in intakes are usually sick, meaning they are not strong enough to escape it. Unfortunately I caught the injury too late. His was worse because he was bleeding as well as he had a cut, so it was difficult for me to keep him going. When I moved him into QT I added seachem stressguard to help with his wound and paraguard to prevent infection. Hope your guppy pulls through!

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FrostedFlakes said:
Same thing happened to one of my male guppies. They can get pretty mean and a 12 gallon space may cause them to kinda get a bit wild. My guppy hovered and was bleeding and looked like yours except a bit worse. I can't confirm it was my other guppies who did it, but it was my only explantion. If it was the filter it would mean something was already wrong with him. Fish that get stuck in intakes are usually sick, meaning they are not strong enough to escape it. Unfortunately I caught the injury too late. His was worse because he was bleeding as well as he had a cut, so it was difficult for me to keep him going. When I moved him into QT I added seachem stressguard to help with his wound and paraguard to prevent infection. Hope your guppy pulls through!
Thank you so much for the advice! I absolutely hate that you had to go through the same thing, but it's good to have someone to talk to about it. I really appreciate you!! I'll try by best to keep him going, thank you so so much and I'm so sorry for your loss. I completely understand how difficult that is to lose a baby.

MissRuthless

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What are you testing with? How old is the tank?

It takes a lot of plants to keep a tank at zero nitrate. My shrimp tank is a literal jungle, no open space whatsoever, and it’s never happened to me. Most plants consume ammonia before nitrate.

Nothing else but guppies in the tank? And shrimp? I have a hard time imagining this fish swimming into something and ending up like that. I’m inclined to agree with @Rtessy, my first thought was ammonia or nitrite poisoning, or something similar causing septicemia.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It definitely could be. The only thing is that the first time this happens I had to travel from home :/ I don't know if he's even alive still since I'm not home but I'll get a family member to check. And yes, only guppies and ghost shrimp! I just have no idea how this could have happened. I suppose maybe you're right, I'll do a large water change as soon as possible. As long as he can make it through the night, it'll be OK hopefully. Thank you all so much for the suggestions and advice!! It's been so helpful.

Caroline J

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well yall, our friend didn't make it. this is the first fish I've had die and I'll admit I'm a bit more disappointed than I thought i would be. It really hurts, especially knowing I might have been able to save him if I were home, but I know it's all a part of life. I don't think there was much I could do for him anyway. I'll definitely check the water once I'm home and do water changes. Thank you all so much!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom