Urgent! Did I Just Buy Shrimp With Parasites? Help

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by andrearamirezo91, Jul 13, 2019.

1. andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

Hey everyone!

I just bought some cherries for my planted tank and I have a feeling that one of them might have parasites. When I saw it at the store, I thought she was just berried but upon closer examination I’m not sure any more.

They are currently floating in my tank and I haven’t dumped them in yet. What should I do?! I’m afraid of throwing them in there and contaminating the rest of my tank. I don’t have a qt and don’t wanna medicate my whole tank either and risk hurting my plants!

B8B361E3-8024-4B55-B884-FBB41BBAE221.jpeg
    0CCBC2DE-A430-4DE0-ABF7-AC00538E8D8F.jpegF1342CA3-4301-4781-8643-333E1A33E126.jpeg

2. GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Oh no, that looks like ellobiopsidae to me. I've had a couple bouts with it and was never able to overcome it. Some say it's incurable, but I've seen some mentions of treatment. I'm not sure how effective they are. Regardless, the first thing I would do is separate the infected shrimp, although it doesn't mean the others won't get it.

I'm sure some of our shrimp folks will come along and hopefully give you better news/advice. Good luck!

Edit: I just realized you still have them in the bag. You might want to just take them straight back to the store.

3. andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

I’m pretty upset but at least I caught it on time which I’m really happy about. That sucks though because I always get all my fish stuff from the same store. I’d wait for their next batch but I’m afraid they might already be coming infected. Not sure what to do from here on or if I should even wait for their next order.

4. GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I know what you mean. I tried with 2 different batches and they both became infected. I gave up on cherry shrimp after that. I hope you have better luck. Maybe you can try a different store or order online and try your luck there.

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Separate it immediately. Any with any signs of it need quarantined. A few on here have tried treatments with a variety of results. Most poor. @richie.p has been following most of the threads. I will see if I can find a few of the threads.

6. GeoffWell Known MemberMember

They were still in the bag. Hopefully she's on her way back to the store with them, or already there.

7. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I guess I'm just used to the pet store being an hour away. Lol.

8. GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Lol, I hope hers isn't that far!

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Return them dont even try and treat it

10. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

OMG why did the store sell you shrimp like that its disgraceful dont add them to the tank dont separate them dont even try to treat it take them back that is Ellobiopsaide advise the the store of your findings do not take replacement from that store

11. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

You probably followed the other threads on this closer then I did. So did anyone actually cure their shrimp or was it just mixed results?

12. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

There was a very very long drawn out cure but to be honest what I witnessed was not worth the effort I believe it was you @david1978 at the very beginning of the one treatments said best to euthanize that shrimp and after a few weeks you words proved right and I say to anyone until there's a cure that can be done in a short time dont bother, the other thing at the end of it was we dont know if the treated shrimp could still be a carrier as those shrimp were not put back with the colony,on a final note there is a fungal disease which looks exactly like Ellobiopsaide called Cladogonium ogishimae, this is treatable but to the untrained it's very difficult to diagnose so I'd treat all as Ellobiopsaide and euthanize straight away quarantine the whole tank and equipment and seek help,

13. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Yea it was me who said to just euthanize. It just seems like the general concessis. I was just curious if I might of missed someone having luck with a treatment.

14. andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

Hey everyone!

The shrimp are still floating in the bag. The fish store doesn’t open till 12 so I’m gonna have to wait till then to take them back. I’m so frustrated though. I was really happy because they had huge beautiful females and their shrimp were cheaper than everywhere else. Not to mention the grade in their coloring. The rest that I have seen in other places were pretty pale and not nearly as colorful as these. I don’t think I feel comfortable even waiting for them to order more of their shrimp in though. After all I don’t know if they came infected already from the provider.

@richie.p I’m actually really surprised that this store sold me the shrimp like this. It’s my favorite fish store because it is packed with knowledgeable people that have been in the industry for years and they seem to know what they’re doing. In their defense though, I too saw the parasites in the store and thought they were eggs. I even talked about it with the employee that packed them up for me. I walked out celebrating that I had hit the jackpot with a beautiful pregnant female and it turns out shes covered in parasites :meh:

15. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

I'd be very interested to here what they say but dont take shrimp not even from another tank

16. 86 ssinitWell Known MemberMember

Yes I’d like to hear what they say too. Sorry this happened. I wonder if they’ll just throw those shrimp back into the tank. Feel bad for anyone else who bought shrimp from them :(.

17. andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

They open in 30 minutes so I’ll be heading there soon. I’ll let you guys know what they say! I was also wondering if they’ll just toss them back into the tank. That would be a huge disappointment for me since they’ve been my favorite fish store for almost five years now. I never mind taking the 45min drive because I always feel like I’m getting good, healthy livestock from them.

Where can I buy some nice, decently prized cherries? Any advice?

18. richie.pWell Known MemberMember

Look for a private breeder one that doesn't important from Asia as most of these problems are accruing due to the conditions they are in, if they can identify the disease when you give them back the tank they came out of should be closed, if they can't identify it you should make them aware

19. andrearamirezo91Well Known MemberMember

So I just called the store to give them a heads up. I figured it would be nicer than putting them on the spot in front of their other customers. It’s a small place so if someone speaks in there, pretty much everyone can hear you. The gentleman I spoke to instantly said that shrimp don’t get parasites. He was somewhat condescending and spoke to me like I had no idea what I was talking about. He said I could still bring the shrimp in if I wanted to though, and that they wanted to take a look at them regardless. I’m so disappointed. :shifty:

20. GeoffWell Known MemberMember

Ah man, I was wondering how they would take it. I would just take them back and be done with it. Whether they accept that they are parasites or not, just tell them you don't want them regardless.

That's a shame.