Urgent Cory Problem

Muffymouse
Ok I looked up from what I was doing and one of my corys was looking like he was swimming funny. I looked closer at him and it looks like he can't/won't close his mouth and is sitting at an angle to the bottom of the tank. The other two look fine.

so I immediately tested my water and there is no change

ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0, nitrates: 5, temp: 80.0

any ideas about what could be wrong? or how to help him?

(note: i'm not really sure if my guys are actually guys or girls, I don't know if that matters)

Muffymouse
Since I was just able to get a good look at his face I notice that 3 of his barbells seem to be sitting at a awkward angles, the last one seems fine.

only recent changes to the tank were a massive water change in the last week with vacuuming, and a change to a better food which all have liked and readily taken to.

Muffymouse
Getting much worse

He is getting worse rapidly. barbels curling even more and his face is red, right behind where his mouth is. I'm so worried.

COBettaCouple
I'd lower the temp to 78 and increase the tank aeration. I'm not sure what that is.. maybe with a pic, I'd get a better idea. But you could add the basic "good stuff" -- vitachem, fish protector and garlic guard as a start.

EDIT: I moved the thread here for our 'sick fishie' experienced members to read. It sounds like his gills and breathing are being affected. Is there currently aeration in the tank?

Wolfgang8810
sometimes their mouthes get stuck like that. I'm not sure what its called but it inst contageous. I hope someone else will have a better answer soon.

Muffymouse
Yep, I think I have pretty good areation going in there right now, I have one bush shaped airstone and one small inch sized one, both going pretty hard. Sadly, I don't have a digital camera and therefore can't add pics but I would in a heartbeat if I could. I'll turn down the heater a little now and then in an hour or so do it again to slowly bring their temp down, add the vita chem. I'm not sure what you mean by "fish protector" and I don't have any garlic guard. but I hope these things help. also been keeping an eye on my other guys and they seem to be doing ok, haven't noticed anything wrong with them. thanks for the advice.

COBettaCouple
Fish Protector is a top-quality water conditioner and helps calm fish, promote healing, etc. I order it online since I can't find it locally.

If you don't have garlic guard, but do have minced garlic in the fridge, a little of the juice from that is pretty similiar and it can be used. Garlic provides fish with pretty similar benefits to what it does for us.

Muffymouse
I don't have any minced in the fridge right now, but I do have fresh garlic and a press would a little of that be good to add? or should I soak the bits for a bit and then and the the water?

COBettaCouple
Yea, a little fresh garlic juice would be good. I usually put in about 1-2 drops per gallon each day when treating torn fins, but it could be fine to put a little more in.

Muffymouse
thanks, now I guess I'll try to relax and just wait and see how things go. temp has been turned down just a little, vita chem has been added, and some garlic juice has been added. I hope something helps as he looks just miserable.

COBettaCouple
Yea, I hate not being able to do more, but I really think you've done all of what you can for him and hopefully it will give him the boost to fight it off.

capekate
Some folks claim that corys and bottom dwellers with barbs do better in sand than in gravel. Tho most of us that have/had corys have never had any problems with using gravel. So with that said, its very possible that this particular lil guy is really beating himself on the gravel floor for some reason and may be injuring his barbs and lower mouth from being extra tough on himself when searching for food among the gravel.
I found Ultra Shield, Natural Skin Protector by Mardel in my local fish store.
I believe that Saechem also makes such a product, and then there is the API brand, Stress coat. You may be able to find one of these products available at your local fish store.
good luck with your lil guy.. I hope he feels better soon! :-\

Muffymouse
he is gone :'( this sucks!!! I wish I knew what caused it and how to treat it and how it got into my tank and why only one (Lord willing, only one) got it, etc.

When I was finally able to go to sleep last night, his barbels were all shriveled up and worthless, his mouth looked like you could fit a whole shrimp pellet in there with room to spare, and the color was all gone from his lips to about 1/2 of the way up to his eyes.

If anyone has experienced this before or has read about what to do about it, I would like to know, because it looked like an excruciating way to go and I wouldn't want to wish that kind of death on anyone.

COBettaCouple
:'( I'm sorry you lost him. This is the first time I've run across this, but it really does sound like a respiratory system infection. I think you did the best possible for him.

Muffymouse
I think perhaps, my last original cory, Tiny, now has it too. Perhaps i'm just being paranoid, but I looks like he isn't closing his mouth and he is breathing harder than normal. I just wish there was something more I could do.

COBettaCouple
You could start the tank on daily water changes and adding those additives after each change, try to fight it off before it can get any further. Maybe even more melafix too.

Muffymouse
he seems to be doing better now, I think I was just being paranoid, after losing 8 fish in a week. but I'll keep checking and if anything suspisious appears I will following that advice.

Muffymouse
Seems I may have been hoping a bit too soon. While Tiny seems just fine, my other guy, Spot, may not be doing well at all. His symptoms are totally different from Fighter's, but his dorsal fin is very ragged, the ribs all appear to be there but the flesh between is missing. Also his body looks funny where the dorsal fin attaches to him.

So what I have done:

1. remove carbon filter
2. 50% water change - using NovAqua + for conditioner
3. dose with maracyn and maracyn 2 (and unless told otherwise, will does it for the full 5 days.)
4. add vita chem and garlic juice to water.

other helpful suggestions would be wonderful
thank you all for your help so far in my frustrating troubles with neverending fish illness.

COBettaCouple
It sounds like fin rot. Rid-Fungus is a gentler way to deal with the fungal side and I usually use triple sulfa for the bacterial side, but I believe you've been using it a bit so maracyn-2 would be a new family to throw at the bacteria.

Muffymouse
i'm a little confused. are you suggesting that I trade the maracyn and maracyn 2 out for rid-fungus and triple sulfa or ..., yep, just a little confused =)

COBettaCouple
No, you're probably better of with the maracyn's since you've been using triple sulfa on that tank.

Muffymouse
I haven't used triple-sulfa on that tank ever In October I used triple sulfa on my eclipse 6, but I haven't used it since then. I still have it though if it would be better then the maracyn combo

COBettaCouple
I guess I got tanks mixed up.

I like Triple Sulfa better, we've had more success with it than maracyn.
Triple Sulfa + Rid-Fungus is what we use to treat fin rot. The Triple sulfa targets the bacterial cause and the rid-fungus targets the fungal cause. The Rid-Fungus is non-harsh, organic & herbal so this lets us treat fin rot with 1 antibiotic instead of 2.

Muffymouse
I guess I got tanks mixed up.

It's no big deal, seeing as you are trying to keep track of not only your own tanks but all of those of everyone else's here on the forum =))

Since Spot is looking much worse tonight, I'll see if I can't get some rid-fungus (every time I try to get some, all of the area stores are out) and start that along with the triple-sulfa that I have.

Since I may not be able to get any of the rid-fungus for a day or two would you recommend stopping the maracyn's and just doing the triple sulfa until I can get it or ...?

Thanks for your help so far.

COBettaCouple
If you've started the maracyns, I'd finish the course out and then determine if he needed to go with triple sulfa. The meds usually take a couple days at least before showing signs of working.

You could start adding Rid-Fungus at any time really.

Muffymouse
another problem. I'm not sure they are eating. I've been finding more food in there that has been left untouched. and last night when I went to bed the water was clear this morning, it is VERY cloudy and I fished out even more untouched dinner. any suggestions??

Muffymouse
I think i'm going to try not feeding them today and see if maybe they are just full because they are getting mroe now that the guppies are not pigging down everything in sight.

chickadee
It is going to take a bit longer than a few days to note regrowth on the fins but what you want to see is not any further degeneration of the tissue on the fins for sure. But not eating is serious for a Cory. I would suggest not feeding them as much perhaps and doing a good gravel vacuuming to make sure all the old food is out of the tank so you know what is old and what is new. Then give them a shrimp pellet apiece in the morning and one each in the evening for the duration. This is all I feed my cories. They may get different types of pellets but they get one pellet each at each meal and that is all. You may be overfeeding them or they may be getting too much food in the tank for them to clean up for you. They are not algae eaters so they will not clean the tank for you. They are carnivores and need the type of food that contains protein. If you are feeding them algae wafers they probably will not eat them.

Rose

Muffymouse
so should I vacuum even though i'm treating with meds? I was told not to until the treatment was complete, but I don't want the water toxins to cause even more problems. help =)

Muffymouse
Spot is looking worse and worse. it seems like whatever attacked his dorsal fin is also attacking his body where the fin attaches. I have put three days worth of the maracyn and maracyn 2 combo in the tank. This morning the tank is extremely cloudy and I can't tell when either of them ate last. Would it be more beneficial to leave things the way they are or do a water change at this stage? If I should do a water change, what percentage should I change??

Muffymouse
HELP!!! the whole area around and over Tiny's dorsal fin is now Extremely fuzzy!!!! I don't know what to do. Do I do a water change? do I keep with the meds I have him on? do I need to change them?? he is looking so sad.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MelloYello
Replies
Views
Iverg1
Top Bottom