Urgent - Columnaris? Or Something Else..? Help

1. StarSorrow Initiate Member

Recently bought a beautiful amazon blue angelfish and a leopard angelfish from my LFS. They looked fine and active in the store, but we've had them for around 3 days and they're starting to show a couple of little white spot type things on their lips. My boyfriend and I disagree on whether or not these white spots are actually sticking out or not, but the one on the blue amazon looks a bit fuzzy to me. The one on the leopard doesn't really look fuzzy at all and instead looks a bit...pimply?The angelfish are very active, eating and following our hands around when we are near the tank. They also are not isolating themselves at all and actually sticking together in a group on one side of the tank.

My water parameters are:
    Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 20 ppm (our tap water comes out at this)
    pH: 7.4
    Temp: 80 F/27 C

I'm thinking the tank could be in some sort of mini cycle? Which is weird because we bought this tank from someone and it was matured over a year. We are using this as our 'quarantine' tank at the moment as the little jurupari that we have in there at the moment are new as well. We'll probably be using this 55g as a grow out and move the jurupari to a larger tank once they get bigger (they are only about 2 inches long at the moment). None of the other fish in this tank are exhibiting any signs of illness.

I'm extremely worried about these fish and don't know what I should do since I don't know what this is. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    angel1.jpg angel2.jpg

2. Sean Smith Member Member

Colton mouth most likely . Pet stores typically use a copper compound conditioner to prevent this stuff and you don't want it in the tank( some fish are sensitive to it and crustaceans and snails) . So get a bacterial killer that is safe to use in aquariums . Should do fine if treated in the next two days . Good luck . It's most likely a bacterial infection ( I'm guessing cotton mouth)

3. StarSorrow Initiate Member

Upon further examination it looks like it could be some sort of lip injury? The one on the lip of the leopard looks a bit like the side of his mouth is just swollen. They fought pretty hard when they were being moved tanks so a possibility could be that they bumped the inside edge of the tank or some of the stones/decorations in the previous tank they were in. What do you think? For now though I'm using melafix and a 0.2% aquarium salt solution. I did a pretty big water change before I did this and now my ammonia and nitrites are both at 0.

4. Sean Smith Member Member

Melafix is very hated on this site .... so don't tell others you use it XD . Good luck

5. StarSorrow Initiate Member

Oh dear, lol! Any reason why? I've used it to treat minor bacterial infections before to great success :p

6. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Melafix is not hated here - we just make sure to let new aquarists know that it isn't a "real med" but a natural remedy. Tea tee oil has powerful antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties, but not as strong as an actual antibiotic or antibacterial med. I personally love it and will always try it before using "real meds" as it has saved lives in my tanks before. Great stuff if you catch the issue early... not so helpful with advanced infections. Opinions vary around here, but I think it's a good product for what it is.

7. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I agree with MissRuthless, melafix is not strong medicine, but it has it's uses.

With the angels, it's too hard to say at this point. If they were fighting earlier, they may have locked lips, resulting in a minor injury. Keep an eye on it. If the patches grow or appear on other fish, you may want to consider an antibiotic.

The ammonia reading was quite low, but still a cause for concern combined with the fact that your nitrates are effectively zero (same as tap water). It indicates that there is a chance that you may not be cycled. Has the tank been in constant use? I would keep an eye on parameters and watch for ammonia and nitrites, just to be sure. Good luck!

8. StarSorrow Initiate Member

Ahh, I see. From my own research that's what I thought as well. I figured it was more like chicken soup rather than a proper medication. I've had some really good experience with using it at or slightly below the recommended levels for my anabantoids :)

We did a very large water change on the tank before putting the fish in, so I'm going to keep testing the parameters. We're doing daily water changes of about 20-40% on our QT and hospital tanks at the moment just to keep the water quality up. The tank has indeed been in constant use. We bought it from someone who had been using it for 4 years and had a bunch of very large cichlids crammed in there. We medicated those fish and once they were healthy enough moved them to better homes where they'd have more room. Then we cycled the tank without fish for a bit and returned the activated carbon to the filter to flush out the medication we used.

The marks on the lip are looking a bit better today but that could just be me having wishful thinking :p I believe that they have paired up though, so lip locking could have been happening and I just wasn't around to see it, lol. I think another likely scenario if it's a lip injury and not cotton mouth is that they managed to injure themselves when I was moving them and I just didn't notice until yesterday. A lot to think on. Thank you guys!