Urgent: beat up betta

1. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Making this as short and sweet as I can. Please advise quickly.

Someone thought it woukd be cute to put two bettas in the same cup at my work place.
    So I bought a 5g setup (ugh) and quickly got him home.
    Filled tank, added capful of prime and am slowly acclimating him.
    Tank setup included tetra Micro Filter and AquaSafe dechlorinator.
    I bought a bag of gravel, heater, and Start Zyme.
    Never had to cycle a tank before. Can I add anything I have to jump start the cycle, or just double dose Prime daily?

He is missing the majority of his tail. I have Pimafix on hand, unsure about adding too much at one and putting him through shock.

Please send advice asap

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd use Seachem Stability and Prime to cycle the tank, so you can do daily large changes to help heal his fins.

3. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

My store doesnt have stability. The closest plavce id even have a chance to get it is 45 minutes away.
    Only thing we had was the stress zyme, thats ehy I got it

What I have on-hand:
    Seachen Prime
    Jungle Start Right
    Jungle Start Zyme
    API Pimafix
    Trial size Tetra AquaSafe
    And an unopened bag of aquarium salt

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi :)

Don't you have established tanks? Couldn't you move over an extra seeded media for an instant cycle?

5. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

What I have will not fit in this teeny tiny filter. It is seriously the smallest thing ever.
    And this is the smallest tank I now own

1465220628931.jpg would I be correct in thinking that this media bag would have bb growing on it?
    I think it only has ac in it. But I could take at least the majority of it out, and see if I can cram it into the filter.
    Is it worth a shot?

6. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

You could or take one of the cartridges(?) you have and cut the floss around it and stick that in there.

7. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Would it cause a mini cycle in the other tank?
    If so, how does one survive that lol
    1465221538379.jpg 1465221552302.jpg 1465221561734.jpg 1465221571657.jpg
    Here he is.. unsure of his tail type.
    I have hope and faith that he'll recover.
    Does he look as if he may?

8. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you take it from your 55g, it should be fine. Bacteria doubles every 24 hrs anyway so you shouldn't see any spikes in that large of a tank.

Edit: With good clean water and diet, he should be ok!

9. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Fantastic. Thank el337 !! I will keep you updated on his progress

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, please do. It's great that you took him under your care!

11. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Lets just say im eating worms and grass for the next two weeks lol!
    No but really.. I really couldnt afford it. But every time I walked by to check on him, he swam against the cup to say hey and I guess thank me for getting him out of that deathtrap.
    Who could resist?
    I really hope his fins come back big and strong :)

12. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

LOL aww, I couldn't have been able to resist either. I'm hoping for the best for your new guy!

13. JaneGael Member Member

Is there anything you can do about the person who put them together? That's animal cruelty and is illegal.

14. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

His poor tail! That is awful! Sounds like you have a plan to jump start the cycle which is great. I would still plan on daily water changes for a while, just to promote his healing.

Btw: I have a great black bean soup recipe made with dried beans (best protein price per weight usually) if you want it!

15. UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

Give him lots of love:;hug2I would closely monitor his condition. You really cannot do much but provide him with everything he needs. I know there are medicines like betta revive and stuff that can help. poor boy. I would feed him bloodworms, a good food for bettas. He should make a recovery, although his fins will never be the same, can still make a great pet. Just because something is not perfect doesn't mean it cant be beautiful!

I also use API quickstart for the cycle, and my RCS(red cherry shrimp) are doing fine and dandy

16. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

You're a wonderful person and the horrid parasite who put the poor guy in a cup to fight hopefully your new buddy is going to grow back to his full glory. You've restored my faith in humanity well done! We need more people like you!

17. velveteentuzhi Member Member

Hope he recovers ok. Sounds like you should be fine, especially since you have a good plan for getting the nitro cycle.
    Do keep an eye out for those fins. Make sure they don't turn red or black at the edges, since bettas with ragged/cut fins are very prove to fin rot

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Thank you all for your responses!

Unfortunately there will be nothing done to whoever did such a horrible thing.. im almost 100% certain it was a customer. But I am going to take action on trying to prevent this in the future..somehow.
    Lets just say whoever it was better not let me find out who they are.

Update today, he looks so much better! His colors are brighter and he is exploring is (near empty) tank. I cant wait to get paid again so hopefully I can afford to get him some nice live plants, make him feel more at home.
    For now his little 5g will have to do. And it works well cause he's still just a little guy. Right now our main focus is getting his fins back healthy and strong. Which fortunately, he is still a pretty active and strong swimmer (considering).

I fed him frozen bloodworms today. That was my test, as ive never seen any of my aquatic family reject them. And he passed!!

So we are very hopeful that he will make a full recovery.

I will keep you all updated on "Rocky", his situation and his recovery.

Thank you all for the encouragement and kind words!!

19. Brizburk Member Member

He's so lucky to have you!

20. UnkeptSpoon50 Member Member

5g should be good for his entire life, but you know what they say, bigger is better.
    To tell ya the truth, im a bad person:;nin:;soldier I have a beautiful halfmoon betta in a 2.5g aqaueon. Give me credit! The only other option at the time was the 1g, but I have heard horror stories about those.