Urgent Advice Needed!! Help

1. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

Hi everyone I am a relative novice when it comes to fish keeping and I am trying to expand my knowledge for the benefit of my fish.
    I'm posting today as I'm worried about my black molly and ic she is suffering from a parasite and if so what parasite and how can I treat it?

She currently overnight developed a clear ballooning tube from her an us and seems sluggish?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

3. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I agree, need to know water parameters and see a photo to help.

4. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

Apologies I tried uploading pics last night but they were too big. I don't have pera meters but Hope the pics help!! 1500186333027-1799324362.jpg

I ahould also mention as im not sure if it's related but 8 have had 2 platties die recently they both lost weight and started to get lathargic and sit at the bottom. For them I tried a fungus treatment as I had a case of ich previous. There was no improvement in the fish and I have since had them in methylene blue and have added some aquarium salt as some website have said and since then my molly looked like this.

I'm going to do a water change this morning as I know my waters not the clearest.

Not sure if it helps but that's the tanks recent history.

It's my second tank being about 60L I only have 2 clown loaches in there with a brostlenose pleco and now one 2 platties and some mollies. They keep having babies as they are known to do which is why I want to get it treated asap.

Thanks.

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Did you use the methylene blue directly in their tank?

Edit: and welcome to fishlore!

6. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

You used the fungus cure FOR the ich or after the ich? Ich is not a fungus so it won't help them and medicating for something they don't have can kill them. It weakens their organs. For ich you would just turn your temp up to 86 slowly and add an air stone since heat lowers the oxygen in the water and do daily gravel vacs for 2 weeks until the ich is gone.

7. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

This is true, but I'm more concerned that they may have accidentally fried their cycle with methylene blue. The water parameters may not be good. And that fishie looks like it may have a prolapse going, possible overfeeding, possible internal parasite, possible pregnancy gone horribly wrong. We need some more information here, but I'm going to bed. I'll check back in the morning. Again, welcome! We'll help you figure it out...

8. abheeshs Member Member

Isn't it too much fish for a 12gallon tank?

9. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

I used it after the ich I suppose as at I thought it may have come back reading how persistent it can be.

I added the methylene blue to the 6ank yes but I didn't put the full tank limit in with the new fry and I kept the carbon in so as to cycle it and again to not harm the fry.

Also just to note i left about a week in between the fungus treatment and adding the methylene blue so I didn't accidently overdose them.

Looking at the fish this morning it seems to be swimming around fine currently where as last night it had sat at the bottom and hidden away in a cave I have in the tank.

I have done a 50% water change so hopefully this will help

I mean I habe the two clown loaches but they hideaway in a castle I have with the pleco.

Then I just have 3 mollies, 2 platties and an otocinclus algea eater.....the tank seems empty really but 4 of them do hide so..?

10. Manjit Member Member

My guppy had some symptoms like this once... but it absorbed it back after some time... but sadly it passed away very next day... may be due to infections...
    but yours look far from that... I dont think it will make it...

11. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

To be honest I didn't think it would make the night and it has done and whatever it is doesn't seem to be hindering her swimming but I don't know if anything is going on inside I just don't want her to suffer. I Google so much to find out what it could be but no parasites really looked like what she has so I don't know I've come to the experts.

12. Manjit Member Member

no one is expert... we can just share our experences....
    it can be anything... like some internall organ collapsed and came out... due to pregnency or anything... my guppy had that... but it was red and transperent but looked same...

can you just quarantine it... Is it might cause some sort of infections to your other fishes

13. kayla.s Well Known Member Member

About the tank with the clown loaches... I hope you know those can grow up to a foot in length...

14. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

I don't have a quarantine tank unfortunately. I am aware they can get bigger and I have a second 100L tank if I need to move them and if they outgrow that I would look to rehome them.

Does anyone have any answers to my molly problem though??

15. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Ok. I'm back on. Let's sort this out. Experienced people will chime in and help if possible. I have some experience, but I'm no stocking expert. So somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Someone said something about a 12 gallon tank? I looked at your profile and it says 100 liters? Tank size is a big deal here. Mollies need 30 gallons minimum to thrive. I've never kept them, but I am under the impression that clown loaches require 75 gallons when young, 120+ gallons minimum when coming into their full size, which is huge. They also are social and need to be kept in groups of 6+. Pretty common mistakes, though. You may want to re-home them.

Methylene blue directly in the tank will stain things. But more importantly, it will wipe out your beneficial bacteria and kill your nitrogen cycle. So I would suspect ammonia and/or nitrites causing stress to your fish. They would then be at risk for all sorts of parasite and bacterial infections that usually they can deal with naturally. Hence the sick molly. It's easy to panic and start nuking the tank with meds, but this can actually cause increased stress and make things worse. It's ok, you are new and just learning. We all started out this way.

I'd start by learning all about the nitrogen cycle. Get a API Freshwater Master test kit ($20-25 lasts almost forever) and test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and then ph and water hardness if you can. And learn about what the numbers mean. We will help you. At the very least, get your water tested and record the exact numbers and post them here.

Watch your fish. There may be an infectious disease lurking. If things change, spread, get worse, tell us what you are seeing.

Post as much info as you can. If your tank is really as hot as your profile says it is, you are likely stressing out the mollies who need it cooler than that.

Sorry this is happening, I see a lot of potential stressors that could be causing problems, but we can help you, teach you, and sort this out. Hope this helps!

16. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I second Restocking the tank.

17. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

Hi again.

Just to give an update I checked on my molly this morning and unfortunately she has passed away I'm sad to see her go as had her in the tank for a while she was one of my originals in this tank. But glad she is suffering no longer.

Just to clear things up on my tanks as well, I have 2 tanks 1 that is about 100L so 21 gallons (this is at a rough estimate as it was gifted) and then I have my other tank which is where the mollies are which is again at a guess as it was gifted 60L ish which equates to 12 gallons yes?

Okay I will have to get a tester the only ones I have had before are the strips which aren't as accurate.

I've done a water change of just over 50% so that will clear most of the methlyene blue and hopefully equalise the good bacteria thing that you mentioned and I will get the heater lowered after I double check the temp and what I gave put on my profile.

18. Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately getting some of the methylene blue out of the tank won't instantly help your cycle which I think is what you meant by "hopefully equalize the good bacteria thing." When a medication kills your beneficial bacteria and wipes out your cycle you literally have to cycle your tank all over again, just like you did when you first set up the tank. So the filter will need to grow the good bacteria again to utilize the ammonia from the fish to turn it into nitrites and then eventually into nitrates. This will most likely take at least a few weeks. I'd recommend getting the master test kit as soon as you can since you'll be needing to test for ammonia and nitrites so they don't get dangerously high and kill the rest of your fish. Did you leave any other media in your filter besides the carbon? I don't know if you need to replace any of the media that was in your filter when you put the methylene blue in the tank but hopefully someone more experienced will come along with an answer.

19. Jorden Cookland Initiate Member

I just have what come with the filter and some filter "floss" in there that was recommended I use. It's basically like wool.

I didn't realise the methlyene blue would do that I have a family member that uses it quite a bit with no issues to their fish so they recommended I use it

Not sure if it's a daft question but would it help if I put some water from my larger tank into this one to help the bacteria?

20. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

No, there is little to no bacteria in the water column. The bacteria live on decorations, substrate and the filter media. If you put some floss in one of the established tanks filters and wait a few days you can seed it enough to help with your cycle in the other tank.