Uranium from Well Water: Neutralized with water conditioner?

DaniMaine

Question for any science geeks out there. Any help appreciated! Here's the situation:

When we purchased our home and tested our well water we found very high levels of naturally occurring uranium in our water, about 2 - 3x EPA limits (varied the few times we've tested - last one was our highest, see screenshot).

My question here is whether water conditioners that neutralize metals will help neutralize uranium, and if so, whether it will be able to neutralize them at this level.

I'm using Tetra AquaSafe plus for water conditioner but am open to other brands if they may be more effective. And I'm asking because our RO system is small and expensive, so I'd rather not use it for anything other than our own drinking water. Our well water is otherwise safe.

John58ford

Uranium can be chelated with DTPA based chelation methods. I'm not sure which compounds are present in that conditioner. There are metal specific conditioners available with some searching. The trick is how to remove it once it's chelated, polyfilter or chemzorb product might do it.

Likely better would be a reverse osmosis system (but you would then end up having to re-mineralize from scratch) or a uranium specific ion exchange system.

I have never had to combat this myself but am interested in the problem. Maybe someone with one of the above solutions for uranium, or another I overlooked can chime in on some installation/maintenance/usage info from first hand experience.

RedTailedSharkLover

DaniMaine said:
Question for any science geeks out there. Any help appreciated! Here's the situation:

When we purchased our home and tested our well water we found very high levels of naturally occurring uranium in our water, about 2 - 3x EPA limits (varied the few times we've tested - last one was our highest, see screenshot).

My question here is whether water conditioners that neutralize metals will help neutralize uranium, and if so, whether it will be able to neutralize them at this level.

I'm using Tetra AquaSafe plus for water conditioner but am open to other brands if they may be more effective. And I'm asking because our RO system is small and expensive, so I'd rather not use it for anything other than our own drinking water. Our well water is otherwise safe.
Personally I'd be less worried about the fish and more worried about my kidneys. This is a first for me but I'll take a wild guess and say that a water conditioner will not neutralize a radioactive substance such as uranium. Yikes!

DaniMaine

Thanks for the input John58ford and RedTailedSharkLover. And yes, we do drink only our RO water ourselves - and because it's so critical for us is why I was wondering if there was a way to neutralize it from the well for our fish so that we're not using our RO filters up so quickly.

I also posted the question to Tetra and they replied that they didn't think it would neutralize Uranium, and that it hasn't been tested. So I think I have my answer overall - will suck it up and use our RO water for our aquarium...

But - it was worth asking!

Jmanrow

DaniMaine said:

My first thought is that the uranium in the water could not be healthy for drinking and cooking, and it would not be healthy for aquariums or pets either. I advise using an RO/DI unit. You can store water for your aquariums and other uses in a 55 gallon food-grade plastic drum, or other suitable containers for water storage. I advise getting a three or four stage RO/DI filter that produces at least 50 gallons a day. Depending on where you purchase them, these water filters are reasonably priced, and worth having! I have well watered too, minus the uranium, and I still run everything through my filter.
Quality RO filters have a valve for back flushing the reverse osmosis membrane. Be sure to backflush your filter after every 100 gallons or so of product water made.

MacZ

I would NOT use a RO unit. The stuff would accumulate in the unit, contaminating everything that goes through it with radiation. Or you would have to replace the filters much more often than usually adviced.
If there was a way to neutralize radiation there wouldn't be so many problems with nuclear waste all over.

With this concentration the water is basically spoiled, I wouldn't use it at all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom