Upside Down Tetra

NEENAW

Ive looked through the previous posts but can't find a similar case.
Yesterday I did a watertest and all my levels were just fine, then today I carefully changed a few bits around in my tank, trying not to stress my fish out. Then, just a short while ago I lost my first fish I just found him swimming upside down, having a few fits, then nothing. No gills moving, nothing. Then splashed about once and stopped, still upside down. And then he was gone. Another fish nibbled on him and he didnt move, so I got him out, not sure what to do, thinking if its contagious I don't want the other fish to eat him.
I checked my levels again, and ammonia had gone from nothing to almost 1.0!
I'm wondering if the fry that came early morning yesterday might have started another minI cycle with the ammonia spiking again? My tank is only 30L and I was not prepared to house another 12 babies!
Ive done a waterchange and checked again, and ammonia is now down to normal, but I'm really nervous that it will go up again over the night.
Could it be memoving things about that stressed him out? But do they go loopy upside down cause of stress?
Could there have been pockets hidden under the sand, plants, with toxic gas?
Any ideas?? I got really upset loosing my first fish, and I don't want it to be a habit

Ed204

Ive looked through the previous posts but can't find a similar case.
Yesterday I did a watertest and all my levels were just fine, then today I carefully changed a few bits around in my tank, trying not to stress my fish out. Then, just a short while ago I lost my first fish I just found him swimming upside down, having a few fits, then nothing. No gills moving, nothing. Then splashed about once and stopped, still upside down. And then he was gone. Another fish nibbled on him and he didnt move, so I got him out, not sure what to do, thinking if its contagious I don't want the other fish to eat him.
I checked my levels again, and ammonia had gone from nothing to almost 1.0!
I'm wondering if the fry that came early morning yesterday might have started another minI cycle with the ammonia spiking again? My tank is only 30L and I was not prepared to house another 12 babies!
Ive done a waterchange and checked again, and ammonia is now down to normal, but I'm really nervous that it will go up again over the night.
Could it be memoving things about that stressed him out? But do they go loopy upside down cause of stress?
Could there have been pockets hidden under the sand, plants, with toxic gas?
Any ideas?? I got really upset loosing my first fish, and I don't want it to be a habit
Sounds like your fish had a case of swim bladder disorder. One of the causes is stress. When I first introduced my silver dollars to their tank one of them was swimming weird can you could say that he was swimming sideways/upside down. However, after a day he was perfectly fine, eating and schooling again.

NEENAW

Does it happen out of the blue? He was stonedead within minutes it was awful to see, absolutely gutted

Ed204

Does it happen out of the blue? He was stonedead within minutes it was awful to see, absolutely gutted
How long was he showing the upside down swimming behavior?

NEENAW

It was a matter of a minute tops, from nothing at all, to going crazy and then gone. I have no idea what happened. All my other fish are fine, my LFS said I could come in and have a new one since it was less than a week after I had bought them. Oh well, things that happen I suppose :/

Punkin

I'm sorry you lost your fish. Maybe it was something internal that you would have had no control over.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JuDom
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
MCosta
Replies
Views