Upside Down, Sinking Shrimp

AustinE

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a tank with many Amanos that will regularly swim up the the surface to grab some food during feeding time (as if they're too impatient to wait for their own food, which they get more than enough of). This has been a regular occurance for some time with no issue. Suddenly tonight I am seeing that they are often swimming up, then falling while upside down. They would typically hit the floor, and then get back up as if nothing happened. As I'm writing this I have noticed one begin to do it, but it is not longer moving when it hits the substrate... it is worth noting that I recently added some new driftwood (about four days ago), but I did boil it for approximately an hour beforehand. Any suggestions for how to diagnose this issue?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm really sorry, but I'll just be able to make a few guesses but I won't be able to reply for a few hours.
To me, this indicates some sort of toxin in the water, potentially anything from a small ammonia or nitrite spike to some trace of heavy metals. Personally, to be on the safe side, I would remove the driftwood for the time being and do a water change, whatever your normal amount is. Any chance any sort of aerosol or penny or anything unusual got in? Any chance your tap lines wee flushed/cleaned recently? (If they were, don't do a water change and instead contact them and see if they were clearing heavy metal deposits or something else). I wish you the best of luck

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No experience with ammanos, but are you sure they're not just eating? My RCS will do something similar, swim up to the top, find something they want to eat but it not be enough to support them, so once they grab on, they sink backward to the bottom holding on so they don't lose the food.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom