Upside Down Ram

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Little Blue Ram, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Little Blue Ram

Little Blue RamValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'm not sure if she's sick or dying but my balloon belly golden ram is upside down. She isn't floating, just laying on the bottom. I did a water change Sunday (about 75%, much more then I normally do and added extra gravel) and when I tested the water today I had ammonia showing at .25, with nitrites 0, nitrates 10 and Ph at above 7.6.

When I got home from work I tested the tank again before doing a water change and the Ph level is now at a 6.6 but everything else is the same. I've since done a water change and dosed with Prime, test results now show ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 and ph at 6.8-7 but i'm going to keep monitoring it since this tanks been cycled for almost a year.

All other fish look ok for now.

But now what do I do with her? Is she a goner or is there something I can do?

2. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,412
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Try keeping her warm ?
    Rams do best over 82f so if you are keeping her in lower that may be part of the issue..
    Most store rams are weak and balloon rams are know to be poor quality usually ..
    How long have you had her ?

3. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    4 years
    The temp in tank is 82, sometimes warmer when the temp outside reaches 90+. I've had her about a year and a half with no issues until today. I did read that their life expectancy is shorter but nothing says by how much, I bought her and her sister at the same time and her sister died at a year with no warning and no issues with tank.

4. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,412
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It may just be time ?
    Most don't expect more then 2 years from store rams ..
    2 years is good for many ram IMO and most are 4-6 months old at least when sold ..

5. OP
    OP
    Little Blue Ram

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    4 years
    Ok good to know. I'll look into maybe euthanizing her since she looks miserable :(

6. tiffani

tiffaniValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +51
    Experience:
    More than 10 years

Hello
    It may be her swim bladder disease since she’s a ballon ram( their really cute). I had a fat molly flip over on me b4, it was the swim bladder. I stopped feeding her & then gave her peas until she right sided up herself. Is their anything else wrong with her?

Become a Fishlore Member