Upside-down Mickey Mouse Platy

Raychel
My Mickey Mouse Platy had babies about a year ago, and I ended up with what I believe is a Balloon Platy. Her name is “Chubs” and I’ve had her a little over a year. She’s always looked like this, but has always been healthy and incredibly cute.

IMG_1209.jpg

Now, she’s upside down. I saw her spinning in the big tank, so I put her in a small hospital tank and she is at a constant upside down state. The big tank (55 gallon) has great water specs and the temp is at 80. I’ve been treating her for swim bladder - a little Epsom salt, peas (I have to hold her in my hand to feed her the peas). It’s not helping at all. I have been reading a lot, but I’m not finding anything concrete about what she may have. We are on day 3, and I don’t want to lose her. Suggestions?

finnipper59
My Mickey Mouse Platy had babies about a year ago, and I ended up with what I believe is a Balloon Platy. Her name is “Chubs” and I’ve had her a little over a year. She’s always looked like this, but has always been healthy and incredibly cute.

View attachment 451648

Now, she’s upside down. I saw her spinning in the big tank, so I put her in a small hospital tank and she is at a constant upside down state. The big tank (55 gallon) has great water specs and the temp is at 80. I’ve been treating her for swim bladder - a little Epsom salt, peas (I have to hold her in my hand to feed her the peas). It’s not helping at all. I have been reading a lot, but I’m not finding anything concrete about what she may have. We are on day 3, and I don’t want to lose her. Suggestions?
I'm stumped as well since you said she's been this way most of her life. Swim bladder problems are not a disease itself, but a symptom of another problem such as infection or parasites. She's not showing signs of either one. Have you added any new fish within the past 2 months that could have been carriers of something, or added snails. Since she has always been this way, she may have been born with a swim bladder deformity that is just now starting to give her buoyancy problems.

Atomicfish
Balloon platy and Molly are a fish made to have a big belly. I have heard that they are known to have swimming issues.

Rtessy
Yes, just the way the body is formed leads to swim bladder disease later in life. This doesn't always happen, but it often does in "bloated" strains. Unfortunately, if this is the cause, there isn't too much you can do. Fortunately, it isn't often immediately fatal. This is a common problem in fancy goldfish, and many owners resort to creating "wheelchairs" of sorts that keep the fish going the right way.
Do you mind describing in detail how you are using the epsom salt? We may be able to tweak the treatment a little.

Raychel
We did just recently add fish to the tank. Do you think it could be a parasite issue? I have meds for that. I used the epsom salt according to how much you’re supposed to put in - it’s a gallon hospital tank, so just a small pinch. How do I make a wheel chair? I cup her in my hand and sit her upright for a little while, but then she goes back to upside down when I lay her back down. I appreciate everyone - keep it coming - thanks.

Rtessy
What was the exact measurement you used? And did you dissolve the salt beforehand?
You can try doing 1-3 baths in epsom salt as well as keeping 1 tbsp per 5 gallons in the main/hospital tank. For the baths, you'll want to do 1 tbsp per gallon for 10-15 minutes, but monitor your fish for signs of discomfort and remove if the fish seems overly distressed.
I'm not super familiar with the wheelchairs, but they often seem to consist of some sort of cloth and something that floats, like a wine cork at the top. The type depends on the symptoms being experienced by your fish, for example the floating one would work better for a fish that is unable to fill it's swimbladder and rise.
Try fasting for three days then feeding blanched and deshelled peas coupled with the epsom salt

finnipper59
We did just recently add fish to the tank. Do you think it could be a parasite issue? I have meds for that. I used the epsom salt according to how much you’re supposed to put in - it’s a gallon hospital tank, so just a small pinch. How do I make a wheel chair? I cup her in my hand and sit her upright for a little while, but then she goes back to upside down when I lay her back down. I appreciate everyone - keep it coming - thanks.
Intestinal paracites are usually discovered when the symtom white stringy poop appears. There could be an internal bacterial infection, but that usually causes complete appetite loss or fish taking in food and immediately spitting it out. I'm not 100% convinced that the fish is sick. More likly a deformed swim bladder that is just beginning to cause buoyancy problems.

Raychel
So, the thing is, she is in a small “non-heated” hospital tank. I take out a little water, put warmer water in for her so she doesn’t get cold. I do this multiple times a day. I dilute the salt in the cup of warm water when I put it in. It’s literally just a small pinch. I may do the short bath tomorrow.

I got a flashlight and looked at her belly, since it’s staring right at me. She looks pretty tore up, like a fish but her more than once. I’m using melafix or something like that.

It sounds like some of you believe this fish has had swim bladder for over a year, but the upside down is just coming out from it now? So, she is not a balloon Platy? I honestly don’t know - she was eating fine and going potty fine all this time. I hope I can save her. Thank you again for all the advice.

Rtessy
I think she is a balloon platy, and the balloon type tends to cause swim bladder disorder. Hope the baths help, keep us updated please.
Edit: what's the average temperature? And be sure not to change it by more than 2 degrees Fahrenheit at a time.

Raychel
Update: as I was hand feeding a pea to my little chunky girl, my husband noticed that her tail is bit badly - it’s literally half off. I’m assuming this is contributing to the upside-down-ness. What’s the best med for a nipped tail? I probably have it.

IMG_1243.JPG

Rtessy
I'd recommend M Blue baths, 1-1 1/2 tsp per gallon for 30 minutes. Or, you could just dose some Stress Coat (stress coat shouldn't be redosed every day, it remains in the water until removed by water changes).

Raychel
I have stress coat - I just always assumed the Melafix was stronger bc it smells so potent. I will do stress coat next, and I’ll look into the M Blue bath - thank you.

Rtessy
You can use stress coat+ and melafix at the same time if you want.

Raychel
She was doing better yesterday, trying to swim upright and eating. Unfortunately, around 11:00 am, she passed away. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Rtessy
I'm so sorry for your loss

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Fishfriendkeeper
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Fishfriendkeeper
Top Bottom