Status
Not open for further replies.

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi everybody,

Today I went to Petland to look at aquariums and after that I decided to go look at the fish.I went past the goldfish tank that had huge goldfish(I think they were oranda and shubunkin)and I noticed a goldfish floating upside down!The fish was still breathing normal and I thought it was about to die so I notified the manager.The manager then told me that the fish's equillibrium had gone bad and the fish sleeps upside down.I had never saw a fish that had that before and I thought that was very interesting.I thought that they should have got the fish out of the tank because each fish was going for about $300 and I thought that it would not attract business,especially if it was dead!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
$300 for a stinkin' goldfish??! I know what I'm breeding next...

I agree though, a deadish looking fish would be bad for business. Especially if they are that expensive.

OP
nerite0479

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I saw the price I thought:Who in the world would pay $300 for a goldfish?!Some were as big as a baseball or a little bit bigger but I still don't think it was worth $300.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swimming or floating upside down is a sign of problems with the swim bladder, not "equilibrium". Some well-bred fancy goldfish and koi of a good size can go for a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars. However, if they do not even know the signs of disease, then they probably have just jacked up their prices due to the size of the goldies. I do have one little comet goldfish that swims and sleeps on her side. She was damaged in the egg and has a very crooked spine which makes it impossible for her to swim upright. She sleeps in the stems of my lily plants.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everybody,

Today I went to Petland to look at aquariums and after that I decided to go look at the fish.I went past the goldfish tank that had huge goldfish(I think they were oranda and shubunkin)and I noticed a goldfish floating upside down!The fish was still breathing normal and I thought it was about to die so I notified the manager.The manager then told me that the fish's equillibrium had gone bad and the fish sleeps upside down.I had never saw a fish that had that before and I thought that was very interesting.I thought that they should have got the fish out of the tank because each fish was going for about $300 and I thought that it would not attract business,especially if it was dead!
I had a goldfish with the same problem that would sleep like that. I thought it was really cute but I sometimes wonder if his swim bladder problems were what led to him getting dropsy later on.

OP
nerite0479

nerite0479

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I saw the fish I thought of swim bladder disease.You can't trust pet stores sometimes

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everybody,

By the way. Never pay $300 for a fish unless your name is Warren Buffet and that fish talks like an East German swimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 69 67.6%

Top Bottom