UPSIDE-DOWN CATFISH

1. DAWNA Initiate Member

I am from So. Cal. and shop at Global Aquatics in Ontario (They have the coolest 4 foot shark that is friendly! Sometimes I go just to see him!) Anyway, I was looking for an upside-down catfish like I saw at Walmart during the holidays. I don't know the "real" name but it's brownish with a dorsal fin and eyes on the bottom and it swims this way. I thought it was a regular catfish that was about to die but they had a whole tank of them and were selling them quickly. Any ideas or regular name?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Synodontis nigriventris or contractus are the two most commonly sold up side downs.
    I would bet it is nigriventris.

Dino

3. RoboDude Member Member

Cool! I have an Upside Down Catfish too! Very cute! Does yours hide in cracks and peek out sometimes?! ;D

4. Tom Fishlore VIP Member

Would an upside down catfish do well in my 27 gal hexagonal tank (read below for fish listing)? Or would a Columbian shark be better? I am aware that it is a brackish fish but the people at my lfs said it is OK to have in a freshwater tank because it is used to it but they also said that it would be more prone to disease and I accept that. Or is the tank not long enough for the Columbian shark? Thanks.
    Tom

5. Toddnbecka Member Member

Aside from being brackish water fish, Colombian sharks will grow to about 12". I'd recommend a group of dwarf Corydoras for that tank.

6. Tom Fishlore VIP Member

It's ok. When the CAE and shark leave, I'm geting BN.
    Tom

7. Tom Fishlore VIP Member

The CAe will leave at about 3" each and the shark will leave at about 5", so no problem there right now.
    Tom

8. poefox Well Known Member Member

My upside down catfish is almost invisible, I should warn you. Never shows a whisker unless its semi dark. in the display tanks they are bold simply because there are probably a couple of dozen of them and they don't offer good places for fish to hide so that they can be seen by customers. However I have a well planted tank and I've found mine hiding underneath the leaves of a sword plant only after careful looking. Just fair warning; they can apparently be quite shy.

9. Tom Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks.
    Tom

10. miker Member Member

USD Cats are actually nocturnal. It is normal for them to hide during daytime. Make sure you put some sinking wafers for them after you turnoff the light.

11. werner Member Member

can you send a pic of the cat fish