upside down catfish

YoYo The Wise

Reaction score
Dose eny one have en info on this fish he has grown two inches in less than a month

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check this out.
Your fish shouldn't get more than 4 inches. UDCs stay pretty small. Sounds like you only have one--you should get a few more. They like to swim in groups, and you will see a lot more out of them when they feel secure and have friends to play with. What size is your tank though, and what other fish are in there?

YoYo The Wise

Reaction score

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From the list given in another thread the tank is overstocked
Carol

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression Upside down catfish only get to be 3 to 4 inches. Maybe what I have are not really U.D. catfish (I have 2 and they are both completely black) - the one in my 20 gallon tank is about 2 or 3 inches, but the one in my 55 gallon is at least 7 inches. I have yet to find a picture of the exact fish on the web- as soon as I find the PC cable to my camera, I will post a pic. BTW, they both swim upside down

Toddnbecka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Many species of Synodontis are generically called "upside down catfish", S. nigriventris is the commonly available species that only grows to about 4". They are schooling fish, unlike most of the larger-growing species, and are much happeir in groups.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
They get to about 4 inches under the right conditions. Yours probably is no exception. They're cool when swimming upside down-pretty sweet!

Toddnbecka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Asian UD cats are an altogether different critter than Synodontis species. They don't grow as large as some, but they are generally much more aggressive. Good tankmates for mid-size to large cichlids, but either keep one or a group of at least 10. They are VERY conspecific-aggressive, and unless kept in a large enough group only one will be left after a few weeks.

sick-lid boy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Toddnbecka said:
Asian UD cats are an altogether different critter than Synodontis species. They don't grow as large as some, but they are generally much more aggressive. Good tankmates for mid-size to large cichlids, but either keep one or a group of at least 10. They are VERY conspecific-aggressive, and unless kept in a large enough group only one will be left after a few weeks.
I only have one in my Oscar tank and he pretty much keeps to himself. He has a certain cave he loves and stays there 90% of the time- at least when the light is on- I don't know what he does at night when the light is off and I'm sleeping. He is a major pig, though... he'll pop his head out whenever I put cichlid pellets or freeze-dried shrimp in the tank and gobble up as many as he thinks he can get away with. Sometimes as many as eight or nine pellets at once. But that's really the only time I ever see him. He never bothers any of the other fish at all... at least that I can see.

But I used to have another Asian U.D. that was EXTREMELY aggressive towards the other fish. His whole life revolved around chasing my other fish. Never slept or anything- just spent his entire life bothering my other fish. I got rid of that guy because he wouldn't even let anyone else eat in peace.

Asian U.D.s are beautiful fish, though. I'm gonna have to get rid of one I have now because of limited tank space, but he's a pretty awesome looking fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom