Upside Down Catfish seems to hide a lot

JonDiQ
Does anyone have experience with these interesting catfish? I bought one yesterday on a whI'm and a recommendation from my LFS. It’s my first catfish, and an extremely unique one at that. Since I’ve added him to my community, I’ve seen him for maybe a total of ten seconds. He hides a lot and seems to dart from hiding spot to hiding spot. Is this normal behavior for these guys? Will he eventually join the community or is this what I should expect from him?

Attachments

• 58D64820-020B-4802-A28C-7F92F5B0FBCE.jpeg
    58D64820-020B-4802-A28C-7F92F5B0FBCE.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 111
Demeter
They are nocturnal so you won't be seeing it much. I've got a trio (they like friends) in a 29gal tank and they all stay under the driftwood overhangs. At feeding time they begin to stir with the scent of food for the female bettas. I drop in pieces of algae wafers at lights out and they are always fat in the morning. At first I only had a single catfish, just to see how it would do. Then a few months later I bought 2 more and the original catfish was a bit territorial at first but now they seem to get along.

Here's a nice cite to learn more about them.

CloudTheFluffy
From my experience there always be shy fish. After awhile he should be a little more confident and you will see him swimming in the open more. They also seem to like to be in groups of at least 3. There always more confident after more are added.

Thunder_o_b
I kept a trio for several years. I gave them away when they develop a tast for their tank mates.

For those that do not know the white spots are natural to them and are not ICK.

_MG_0359 copy.jpg

_MG_0361 copy.jpg

JonDiQ
Thanks guys! I’ll definitely get him some tank buddies and hopefully they’ll fit right in. Cool little fish though!!

JonDiQ
Thunder_o_b
Those are some great pics!
Thank you JonDiQ

They are cool fish. But they will eat what they can fit in their mouths.

JonDiQ
Thank you JonDiQ

They are cool fish. But they will eat what they can fit in their mouths.
Yeah. I've heard that. Fortunately, the smallest fish I have in the tank with him is a Red-eye Tetra. I look forward to seeing him join the community. Such a beautiful fish to watch.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Danni524
Replies
Views
Fanatic
Replies
Views
Cacret
Replies
Views