Upside down ADF?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by renthus, Aug 3, 2014.

1. renthusWell Known MemberMember

I woke up today and found one of my ADFs laying upside down in the back. I assumed the worst, but then as I was looking for my net, he moved a little bit. It seems he's alive, but he can't really stay upright very well. Right now he's in a net (with a cover on it) at the surface, so that he doesn't drown. He can swim, but it seems that every time he tries, he ends up doing a backflip. Frogs don't have swim bladders issues, do they? Also, it looks like he's got a layer of dead skin that needs shedding, but it's like... not shedding.

Pictures (because that always helps):

I assume that the prognosis is not particularly good?

EDIT: By the way, the water quality is pristine (0/0/5) and the other frog and betta in the tank are totally fine.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Poor little thing.:(
    Having kept frogs you already know this is not good.

Keeping him in something shallow sounds like a good idea.
    Do you have anything other than a net though?

I can't really see the layer of skin.
    Crossing my fingers that he is having a hard shed and that's what is causing the issue.

I'm sorry I cannot offer more than that.

3. OP
    OP
    r

renthusWell Known MemberMember

I've got a bunch of containers (mesh breeder box, 5.5g qt, tupperware, etc), but I think she probably appreciates the smaller net. It's small enough and it's got the slopes so she can climb up, rather than having to swim. Here she is at the moment:

I think this is something physiological, rather than a disease, so I'm not really worried about contagiousness. I'm also almost certain this isn't chytrid, so that's a good thing. I offered her some live blackworms earlier and she showed no interest.

If it is a shedding issue, is there any physical aid that I can offer, like very careful, mild nudging with tweezers or something?

You know, I have weird frog issues. I still have one of my two original frogs (Fred), but I've gone through three or four partners for him now. They always just suddenly have really bizarre issues. Two had the unidentifiable bloat issues, one just refused to eat and then died a week after arriving, and one apparently climbed up into the filter and fought the current to get to the impeller. And all while the other frog is completely fine. At this point I'm tempted to give up trying to find a partner for him.

4. Claire Bear

Claire BearWell Known MemberMember

I am with lucy!
    I hope he/she pulls through!

5. Lucy

If it's a shedding thing it's probably not a good idea to use tweezers or anything else like that.

How long have you had this one?

6. OP
    OP
    r

I've had this particular frog for about 2 months now.

7. OP
    OP
    r

And I just had to go bury her. This is insufferable.

8. Lucy

:( I'm so sorry.
    It's really hard to lose one especially when we don't know what happened.

9. OP
    OP
    r

The worst part is, given that I don't know what happened, I have no idea how to make sure it doesn't happen to Fred. I'm also very much tempted to never get new frogs =/

Oh, and a GBR went from healthy to dead in about 90 seconds about 3 hours later, and I had high-level girl issues (of the human kind) so my day has just been dandy.

10. Lucy

Crossing flippers that Fred is ok.

We can't stress enough of the importance of quarantining any new frogs to protect him.

It's odd that you would lose a fish so suddenly as well as the frog.
    They are beautiful fish, sorry you lost it.

11. OP
    OP
    r

Believe it or not, the girl had just gotten through a 1-month quarantine a couple weeks ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice