Upper Temperature Limits...

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have parasites in my misfit tank. I already QTd the Pygmy Corys, but that's my last tank. Just took in some rescues, I ran out of cycled filters, ran out of glass tanks and had to use the acrylic ones too. So I hooked up my UV this morning, QTd the Pygmys, and started upping the heat.
Aiming for 7 days at 86, but I've never been unable to dose salt... Here's the guest list:
4 Ghost shrimp
17 Red Cherry Shrimp
3 Blind Otocinclus
3 Crossocheilus Langei (babies)
4 Leopard Danios
5 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Molly
1 Guppy
6 Cardinal Tetra
1 Leopard Pleco
1 Apple Snail
A handful of MTS
Gonna tear down a 6 tomorrow in case I need to treat someone a different way.
Will update on how they all do.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mick Frost said:
I have parasites in my misfit tank. I already QTd the Pygmy Corys, but that's my last tank. Just took in some rescues, I ran out of cycled filters, ran out of glass tanks and had to use the acrylic ones too. So I hooked up my UV this morning, QTd the Pygmys, and started upping the heat.
Aiming for 7 days at 86, but I've never been unable to dose salt... Here's the guest list:
4 Ghost shrimp
17 Red Cherry Shrimp
3 Blind Otocinclus
3 Crossocheilus Langei (babies)
4 Leopard Danios
5 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Molly
1 Guppy
6 Cardinal Tetra
1 Leopard Pleco
1 Apple Snail
A handful of MTS
Gonna tear down a 6 tomorrow in case I need to treat someone a different way.
Will update on how they all do.
Hey Mick, I know that their are a lot of aquarium keepers that want to go the natural route when dealing wirh pathogens in the tank. But their are a few paracites that can withstand the heat treatment and your putting your tank occupants at risk of higher metabolism rate with less oxygen at the same time. It's only a suggestion, but there are two extremely safe parasite treatments that won't harm your biological system. One is API GENERAL CURE and the other is PraziPro. They both have the same ingredient except General Cure adds salt, so I recommend PraziPro since you have snails and pygmy cories that don't tolerate salt.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maggie thecat said:
The ottos are the ones to keep an eye on. The rest should be able to withstand the increased temperature for the duration, as long as there is suitable aeration .
Yup, keeping an eye on everyone though.
finnipper59 said:
Hey Mick, I know that their are a lot of aquarium keepers that want to go the natural route when dealing wirh pathogens in the tank. But their are a few paracites that can withstand the heat treatment and your putting your tank occupants at risk of higher metabolism rate with less oxygen at the same time. It's only a suggestion, but there are two extremely safe parasite treatments that won't harm your biological system. One is API GENERAL CURE and the other is PraziPro. They both have the same ingredient except General Cure adds salt, so I recommend PraziPro since you have snails and pygmy cories that don't tolerate salt.
On the other hand, UV-C is one of the strongest treatments we have. I might also use Electrolysis Sterilization if things don't look normal by day 4.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe it's the glut of ick problems, coupled with your proposed treatment plan, but are you in fact, dealing with ick? Or is this something else like flukes or worms?

If it's the first, carry on. Maybe having a read of this ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment along the way.

If it is some other critter, a better bet would be to look at the mentioned medications.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's one of the Icks. I've never known Freshwater Ick to last dormant for several weeks though, even on a carrier. The last fish to be introduced was late March.
So far, no signs of distress, even the Otos seem oblivious. Still at 84 though, next degree up in an hour.
Edit: My bad, the C Langei were 2 weeks ago, but with a 2 week QT before that.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a molly that gets ick every time she is about to drop fry, and that is in a brackish tank.

I treat with ick stop, and it goes away... until it comes back. She's the only fish affected. Which just makes it weird.

I suspect ick is mutating, just like everthing else.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
maggie thecat said:
I have a molly that gets ick every time she is about to drop fry, and that is in a brackish tank.

I treat with ick stop, and it goes away... until it comes back. She's the only fish affected. Which just makes it weird.

I suspect ick is mutating, just like everthing else.
If I lose one I'll have a look. Just hoping I don't have the opportunity to put anything under the microscope.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At 86 for 6 hours now, UV still going, everyone is active and lively. The Pleco and Otos aren't lively, but that's normal for them. Still only at half power on the Q2 and no signs of hypoxia.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to hear those results so far. Doesn't sound like there are low oxygen levels so good going.
Mick Frost said:
At 86 for 6 hours now, UV still going, everyone is active and lively. The Pleco and Otos aren't lively, but that's normal for them. Still only at half power on the Q2 and no signs of hypoxia.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Still all good, cysts haven't dropped off yet though. Busy tearing down a 55g. Realized today I'm out of sponge filters!
On a side note, talked to my girl tonight (she calls me on Mother's Day, I feel loved) and her LFS sold her a CAE for her 10g Guppy tank. I'm going up there next weekend with an Oto so she can take the CAE back. Almost tempted to go in with her when she does...

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You probably should go with her. Some fish stores pull this once it's been in someone else's tank...disease transfer...blah blah blah...store policy....when it was probably from advice from some fish bagger who knows no better.
Mick Frost said:
Still all good, cysts haven't dropped off yet though. Busy tearing down a 55g. Realized today I'm out of sponge filters!
On a side note, talked to my girl tonight (she calls me on Mother's Day, I feel loved) and her LFS sold her a CAE for her 10g Guppy tank. I'm going up there next weekend with an Oto so she can take the CAE back. Almost tempted to go in with her when she does...

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like cysts are starting to fall off
finnipper59 said:
You probably should go with her. Some fish stores pull this once it's been in someone else's tank...disease transfer...blah blah blah...store policy....when it was probably from advice from some fish bagger who knows no better.
Well they talked her out of a Pleco (not sure if they had DCP/BN) and a Siamese (I know their distributor, they're real), I'm pretty sure they just didn't know what they were selling. I don't care about the $6 they scammed her for, I'm just PO'd that they sell CAE to people without knowing/caring what's going to happen down the road.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mick Frost said:
Looks like cysts are starting to fall off

Well they talked her out of a Pleco (not sure if they had DCP/BN) and a Siamese (I know their distributor, they're real), I'm pretty sure they just didn't know what they were selling. I don't care about the $6 they scammed her for, I'm just PO'd that they sell CAE to people without knowing/caring what's going to happen down the road.
I have a young 22 yo friend that needed a job and just happened to be in the right aquarium shop at the right time. They hired him. To this day he has no idea about the nitrogen cycle, what fish to put together, nor knows anything about fish disease except for what his manager tells him to push because they're overstocked with it...a fish bagger. That's what most aquarium shop workers are.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Starting to see SBD signs in (edit: two) of the Danios, off to see if I can buy another hospital tank and some Victoria Green. Everyone else is doing ok.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good to know other's are doing fine. Sorry to hear about danios.
Mick Frost said:
Starting to see SBD signs in (edit: two) of the Danios, off to see if I can buy another hospital tank and some Victoria Green. Everyone else is doing ok.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So, Danios are down to 78, I threw the Cardinals in with them as they were the only ones with cysts. Cysts are almost gone from the Cardinals (been 4 hours, they were probably ready anyways). Treating with Nox-Ich.
So far I've lost a Cherry, and one Cardinal is pretty weak (he had the most cysts).
Got the 55 clean, gonna do fishless this time. Have some Emerald Rasboras, Red Pencilfish, and Clown Killies coming in on my June order, and I have another pair of Cacuatoides who need a forever home. If anyone has tried... Can I dose to 2ppm for 3 days and then dose to 5ppm on Friday morning and leave til Monday night? Or will I need to toss some food in as well?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TexasGuppy said:
Unless you seeded the tank, it probably won't be consuming ammonia for a little while. Dose to 4 and let it sit.
Figured Id see if I can do it the old fashioned way (without getting impatient) unless its not ready by the week my order ships. Thanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom