Upgrading!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LouLou79, Jul 30, 2017.

1. LouLou79

LouLou79 Valued Member Member

hi all. I started keeping fish a year ago in my small 40l tank. We are enjoying it so have just bought a secondhand Juwel trigon 190! It has come with a heater and a Aquis one 1000 canister filter. Is this a good filter? Also is there anything else I need or should be considering. It's a big jump for us as really we're just beginners, and I want to get it right. I obviously know all about cycling and I won't be transferring any of my fish until I have everything I need/want and the tank is well and truly cycled.

2. Jason Watkins

Jason Watkins Valued Member Member

It seems to get good reviews and assuming your tank is 190 liters it should be more than adequate to keep your water crystal clear. It has to be primed before operation so you might want to look up how to do that if you don't already know. Thee are how-to videos out there. Will this new tank be fresh water or salt water? What fish and plants (if any) do you plan to stock it with?

3. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

It will be freshwater. At the Monet I just have a few guppies and two mollies. Ive only been having plastic plants as the one time I bought a couple of real I ended up with snail infestation and the plants also got eaten.

4. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Talk to @KinsKicks you could do a really cool aquascape and she will help with the plants. What do you have in mind or planned for fish stocking wise?

5. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

I don't really have any plans as of yet. My tank will need some sort of 3D background as it must of had it before as the side walls have big unremovable marks on them that must've been cause by the adhesive.

6. Kenny777

Oh cool!! Good luck!!

7. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

Is aqua scape just a term for the decorations?

8. Kenny777

Hard to explain but @KinsKicks will tell you. Look up above river and under river aquascape that will help :p

9. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Aquascaping is basically designing your tank using your plants and hardscape :).

It is decorations, but can be natural or unnatural depending on what you like

10. OP
    OP
    LouLou79

Thanks. I need a 3D background. But the pieces don't come big enough so I'd have to join them. Also they are quite expensive! Are there any other backgrounds that you know of that can be stuck on the inside of tank?

11. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

I don't use background tbh, so I wouldn't know a good suggestion, but, you can always create your own with some nice plants :) with a little TLC, you could have a nice wall going.

Or you can create your own; they're pretty easy. The King of DIY had a tutorial on his YouTube channel that I think you may like and is friendly on the budget. And you can customize it to how you want it to look

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice