Upgrading

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Anna94, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Anna94Valued MemberMember

What's the proper way to upgrade to a bigger tank? The last time I upgraded all my fish died within a week and my cycle restarted.

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Get the tank, add new substrate, put decorations from tank into new tank, add water to new tank, add filter to new tank and then slowly add the fish (if your nitrates are really high in your old tank, you want to slowly bring them down in the old tank first.

3. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

You need to move the old filter on to the new tank at the same time as you add the fish.

4. Anna94Valued MemberMember

Can't I use the gravel I already have?

5. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

6. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't unless you are prepared for a mini cycle.

7. fisshWell Known MemberMember

What size tank do you have? and what size are you upgrading too? Are you going to keep the old tank running? Is the old tank heathy?

8. Anna94Valued MemberMember

20 gallon long to a 29 gallon tall. I'm gonna sell the old tank once it's all cleaned out.

9. Sakana魚Well Known MemberMember

I upgrade the from a 20 to a 29 as well 2 weeks ago. What I did was move all the fish into a 5 gallon bucket along with the filters(I had them running) and my plants, move all my substrate(I cleaned it super well with a gravel vac first), heater, decor, ect over to the 29, filled it up with water, made sure the temps matched then threw my plants in, set up the filters and dumped the fish in. Didn't lose a single fish(not even my one month old molly fry who I just let exist in the tank I dont net him or anything but I did put him in the breeder net while he was in the bucket)

The reason I put my fish in a bucket is because the tank was going in the same spot my 20 was in, if it wasnt i woulda moved all the water into the new tank along with the fish.

Run your old filter on the new tank with the new filter and as long as u dont add any fish until your new filter has built up some good bacteria you'll be fine.

I also don't know if it matters but I added more conditioner then recommend... I dont recommend this tho.

10. fisshWell Known MemberMember

If the old tank is heathy, use all the old equipment including the water. Don't clean anything, leave the gravel alone and the filters dirty. Putting the fish in a bucket with an air stone for a few hours while you make the change is a good thing. As soon as the water starts clearing add some of that water from the new tank to the bucket and then from the bucket back to the new tank a few times in a 30 min. period, then dump the fish with as much of the bucket water as you can and leave the lights off overnight. you will have to add some new water when your setting up the new tank, make sure you add water conditioner.

11. Anna94Valued MemberMember

Could I use my sponge filter in the bucket instead of an air stone? Does the bucket that the fish go in have to be brand new? Also, will a 3 gallon or 5 gallon bucket work? Won't putting the water from the old tank into the new tank introduce dirty water and possible parasites or diseases? I thought water holds very little to no beneficial bacteria so couldn't I just use all new dechlorinated tap water and just slowly siphon that water into the bucket that the fish are in to slowly acclimate them to the new water and then net them into the tank?

12. fisshWell Known MemberMember

The old water is what the fish are used to. 5 gallon clean bucket is good.

13. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

You can certainly use new water - however I think posters are suggesting keeping all of it so as to minimize stress and change to your fish. If you have no disease or parasites now, you won't which ever tank you are using. Either way will work fine. Yes using your sponge filter in the bucket is fine while you transfer if you want to. Good luck - it certainly sounds like you are well prepared to keep your cycle this time.

14. fisshWell Known MemberMember

Using all the old water is good, you'll be doing a third water change (20 gallon to 29 gallon) you can do more clean up of filters and water changes in a week or two. The less changes you do right now, the less stress on the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice