Upgrading!

1. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 55 gallon tank and was wondering if my idea of stocking would be considered overstocked or not. All that I really want in the tank that is a necessity are:
    2 Angelfish
    4 Bolivian Rams
    4 German Blue Rams
    6-10 Panda Corys
    And maybe a clown Pleco.

I don't think this would be overstocked but figured I would ask before actually starting this adventure. Thanks for any input or advice!

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know if having that many dwarf cichlids are a good idea. I'd probably pick a M/F pair of one dwarf cichlid species.

Also, the panda corys are not temp compatible with the angels and the GBR's. I'd choose sterbai corys or if you want a similar look to the pandas, you could choose c. oiapoquensis.

3. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Could I drop the numbers down to 2 of each of the Rams and leave the Angels in my 35 gallon tank and find a fish to replace the Angels in my 55? If so do you have any suggestions?

4. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It's not the angels that are the issue I think but more the groups of dwarf cichlid species you have. And if you have a mated pair, they will be aggressive towards the others as well as towards the corys.
    TexasDomer Anders247

5. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I'm simply just curious because I've heard of people keeping Bolivians with GBR's and Angels no problems whatsoever, so I was just wondering if there was enough plants, driftwood, rocks etc. would they be fine? I plan on making the tank planted with plenty of driftwood and rocks, this makes me feel like they will be fine seeing as the Angels I'm adding I've had for a while now and show no signs of aggression at all. However i'm aware that they are cichlids and they become aggressive while spawning but if there is enough decor in the tank would this still be a big deal?

Edit: However the more I read the more I'm finding that GBR are often hassled by the Bolivians and often don't engage in natural behavior due to trying to hide from the Bolivians. So I'm probably going to just stick with the Angels, Bolivians and Corys. Thank you for informing me I should research the situation a little closer!

6. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I've known people that kept 2 pair of dwarf cichlids in a 48 inch tank but you would need to monitor closely if you are going to do it. These two species have low spawning aggression but that doesn't mean it will or won't work out. Agree with el337 though that the panda cories are not compatible.

7. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I'm already looking for a replacement for the panda cory's, and I understand. I'm also deciding against the GBR's seeing as I'm still new to fish keeping and continually read they are very hard to raise seeing as they are sensitive to a lot of water conditions. So I will hold of until like I am more confident in my skills to keep stable water conditions! Any ideas to replace the Rams and cory's?

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I would replace a pair of Rams with a single rainbow or sajica cichlid. I've also seen people keep a larger group of bolivians together like two males and three females. To replace the pandas I would do either sterbai or Aeneas cories or you could do kuhli loaches. Other options would be zebra loaches or lucipinnis cats

9. AndrewJ54 Member Member

For the cichlids would it matter if I got a male or female? And I'm going to stick with the sterbai corys, like a group of 8 or so.

10. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

For the single cichlid probably not. The ones I suggested are pretty peaceful. You have a lot of options though

For thecories you could go as high as 10 or 12 I would think

11. AndrewJ54 Member Member

I wasn't sure how big the cichlid would get and how much it would effect the bio load of my tank so I was gonna play it on the safe side and go with a smaller number of corys. Ou think I could get away with 10?

12. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Once you decide what species of cichlids you want, you can look up how big it can get. Most fish have a max recorded size.

13. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Might just try a larger group of bolivans like mentioned and see how that goes for a little while and hope to get a pair. If I decide later to add a rainbow cichlid do you think there would be a problem with aggression towards the new fish?

14. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do this:
    2 angelfish
    2 pearl gouramis
    2 german blue rams
    12 sterbai cories
    12 black neon tetras
    12 diamond tetras

15. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you only have a pair of bolivians and a rainbow and angel in a 55 I don't think you should have to deal with much aggression. But like always you'd want to monitor closely especially if the rams spawn

I think you'd be fine with 10 cories

16. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Aside from substituting the GBR with Bolivians this seems like a solid plan. Two questions though will the Angels and Gourami be compatible and would I have to go with pearl gouramis or is there a little flexibility with the type of gourami?

17. Grimund Well Known Member Member

I'm looking into a similar stocking idea as anders, but with a little different species and more rams instead of the Guarami. Cichlids are pretty interesting fish and warrant a close eye when keeping multiple pairs, even the mellow species can get a little too rough

Edit: while sensitive, rams should be added last. This minimizes the stress from continuous ammonia spikes from adding fish after them.

18. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Bolivians prefer cooler temps than the angels and sterbai cories, so that's why I chose GBRs. The angels and gouramis are compatible, yes.

As for the type of gourami, I'd say you could also try moonlight, banded or thick-lipped as alternatives to pearls.

19. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Oh okay! Thank you guys for the input, I'll keep you guys updated and let you know how it turns out!!