Upgrading Tomorrow

1. CDA Initiate Member

Hello All,
    I am upgrading my tank tomorow from a 20 gallon to a 30 gallon. Any helpful hints would be much appreciated. I bought the new equipment about 3 weeks ago and have been running my new Hagen Aquaclear 50 filter in my current tank along with my whisper filter for about 3 weeks now. I also put some media from my whisper into the new filter for seeding purposes. I will be moving the substrate and live plants to my new tank as well as most of the decor. I am planning on putting my fish in a bucket for the day along with a heater. I hope I have everything covered and welcome any suggestions or comments that would make this successful for me and my fish pals.

:;thx

Charlie

Current parameters:

Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 20
    PH 6.6
    temp 81

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Oh, fun a bigger tank! I'd add an air stone to the bucket.
    Other than than looks like you've got things covered. Keep your eyes on the water parameters for a couple of weeks and post some pics for us!

3. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

piggy back on Lucy.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Jaysee, another member, told me when you are catching the fish (to put them into the bucket), drain most of the water first and remove the decorations. That way, if they are trying to escape you, they won't hurt themselved on the decor. He also said using 2 nets makes it easier to catch them.

5. CDA Initiate Member

An airstone, I knew I was forgetting something. I'll take the one from the tank and drop it in the bucket. Thanks Lucy The Giant Danio's are going to be a challenge for me to catch. The others are a piece of cake. Harriet, Ozzie and Pearl although once in their larger new home are going to be happy, getting them there is going to be a challenge for me. They are very smart, active and very peaceful fish, and very hearty eaters. I have a few snails as well, I hope I will be able to get them to the new tank. They can be hard to find at times.

Thanks,

I may be posting for emergency purposes tomorrow if I run into problems.

Stay tuned!

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. Congrats on the tank upgrade! If you have a clear plastic critter keeper, or even a large deep container of some sort, I would use that to capture my fish instead of a net. By using a container they will not be exposed to air at all and a lot less risk of there being fin damage. Be sure to add some stress reliever/additive for body slime into the bucket too. (I use Nova Aqua).
    Best of luck. Have fun :) I'll be looking forward to your updates.
    Ken

7. CDA Initiate Member

Hi all, Just thought I would post an update. Due to high winds and a few sporadic power outages on Thursday, I decided to reschedule the upgrade for next Tuesday the 22nd. We tend to lose power on a regular basis and didn't want to chance it. I have generator power for long outages, to keep things going. I did get to borrow a small 5 gallon hex tank to keep the fish in while I do the change over, which is better than the bucket I was going to use.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :;shat