Upgrading to canister filter

cichlid12345

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI all,
I have a 125 gallon tank that is currently running on 3 hob filters. They're okay at keeping the water clear and I do large water changes weekly. Well, a relative kinda shamed me about still using hob filters instead of a canister. Long story short, I'm considering switching to 1 or 2 canister filters but have never used them before.
- Would I be okay just buying one for my 125 gallon community tank or should I have 2 filters running?
-I'd like to avoid having to cycle my tank again. Could I leave my hob filters running along with the canister filters until they can handle the bioload on their own? Any suggestions on transitioning from hob to canister?
-Any suggestions on brand or type of filter?
Thanks

Mifuluhu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would for sure leave the existing filters running for a few weeks while the canister gets the beneficial bacterias cooking.

I use one of each and alternate media cleaning.

They aren't hard to use but more work to clean. I have always done well with fluval if the price is good for you. The sun sun brand online is decent and cheaper but parts harder to come by. I recommend buying a spare impeller for which ever you buy as they can be on back order leaving you without a working filter when they break.

OP
cichlid12345

cichlid12345

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at sun sun reviews on amazon earlier. I'm not familiar with the brand but the reviews are promising. Should I get one or 2 for my 125?

Mifuluhu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I would only invest in one at a time.....especially since you have HOB to help out.

It depends on the bio load you are looking to support as well. What's your stock?

OP
cichlid12345

cichlid12345

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm ashamed to say... my tank is sorely overstocked after takin in some of my friends fish. He lost interest in his tan so I took the surviving fish and added them to my community. I currently have 1 blood parrot (5"), 1 chocolate cichlid (6"), 1 gold severum (5"), 1 synodontis cat (5"), 1 pink tailed chalceus (6"), 3 rainbow sharks (5"), 3 kissing gouramis (4-6"), 4 tiger barbs, 7 rosy barbs, and 4 rainbowfish. I know I'm overstocked and I know a few of the fish can be territorial/agressive. Luckily, I haven't had any problems with aggresion yet and everyone is healthy. I do large weekly water changes to make up for the stock right now. Would the canister b able to house a larger amount of beneficial bacteria?

Mifuluhu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol....no shaming yourself! This site is great but very conservative and idealistic with stocking. I tend to have similar issues in my 75 (I have a pair....yes a pair or red tail black sharks) but this is my most stable tank with regards to water quality and fish comfort. It's planted which helps of course. I run a sun sun canister and a HOB with bi-weekly water changes at 40-50%. Had the tank for 8 years and have only had one large stock loss due to pH issues with my tap water. Do what works for YOU.

Yes the canister is superior to holding BB with good media. I am amazed at the amount of crud that gathers in these things. If your nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are high due to stock the filters won't change that too much though. You'd need increased water changes or stock reduction.

OP
cichlid12345

cichlid12345

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lol. Ok, thanks. My nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia levels are always low. I think the large weekly water changes are doing the trick. All the info you gave was great! I'm gonna order one sun sun to start and run 2 eventually. Thanks again!

Mifuluhu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll do great! My advice on the sun sun....once you have it primed keep it primed by turning the hoses to the off position before removing water and letting the level fall below the intake tube extension. Once you lose the prime it's a pain in the booty to get restarted . And order the 'parts' package and have on hand. I had a plastic piece crack and had to wait for the parts to arrive to repair without filtration for several days.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom