Upgrading To Canister Filter Help?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zacahriah, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Zacahriah

ZacahriahNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello, I've decided to upgrade to a canister filter. Im getting the Penn Plax Cascade 1200. Im just curious what types of filter media I should get? I am transferring my bio-rings from my current filter to the Canister filter but should I add more? Im also planning on using Purigen, a course, and a floss pad. Is there anything else I should consider? My tank is 20g and has tiger barbs and a pleco. It also is fairly planted with a carpet and assortment of background plants.

Also, what order do I put everything?

2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +193
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The usual order for filter media is mechanical first, biological next and if you are using any chemical media it should be last. If you have space add more media. If you want some chemical media the add a filter bag with some activated carbon in it, this needs to be replaced every couple of months but does give you very clear water.

3. abbytherookiehuman

abbytherookiehumanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    2 years
    Filters should come with instructions as to where everything should go. Try use as much media as you can fit because the more media, the more surface area, the more beneficial bacteria. Bio rings, bio balls, activated carbon and depending on your ph needs some peat in a filter bag are all good, popular options.
    I use a mix of bio rings and sea hem matrix in one layer and bio balls in another layer. Will probably be adding peat as well to lower ph.

4. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Experience:
    2 years
    it appears the Penn is bottom up. so bottom would have course and floss. the 2nd basket would be your old bio rings. you can add more bio rings or any of the other porous bio media. the last tray will be Purigen and more bio rings if you have room.