Upgrading To Bigger Tank- How To Move Sand?? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jenmur, Apr 19, 2018.

1. jenmur

jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Ok I have a 55 gallon with sand (Black Diamond Blasting sand), live plants, driftwood and decorations. And fish. I’m getting a 75 gallon to which stuff will be moved to as much as possible.
    I know I have to buy more sand but I would like to move as much sand from the 55 to the 75 as possible. How do I do this?? I don’t want to mess up my plants too much but I want to be able to move things.

Here’s a picture of my 55

IMG_6506.JPG

2. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

Siphon out 25-50% of the water and discard all except a bucket full so you have a part way full aquarium and a full bucket( or however many you need), net all your fish into the bucket(s) of water. Siphon the rest of the water into the new aquarium and using a shovel scoop the sand into your new half way filled 75 gal. Move over all of your decorations and re-scape all of your plants. Add new water and possibly some stress guard, then transfer all your plumbing and equipment. Last you can add your fish and bucket of water to the tank.

3. OP
    OP
    jenmur

And the fish would be ok in the buckets for a couple of hours? I have Cherry barbs, Panda cories, and a Bristlenose Pleco. And I don’t mind using water from my 55 to put in the 75. Easier for sand to settle in some water.

4. Skye_marilyn

Yeah, you can put an old hob with some of the tanks media on the bucket while your transferring everything.

5. OP
    OP
    jenmur

I’d have to use a very small HOB and stuff some filter floss in there but it’s an idea.

6. Skye_marilyn

As long as it’s not over 6 or 8 hours they wouldn’t produce much ammonia, possibly stop feeding the day before moving day if you’re worried. Try to make it as quick and smooth as possible so the fish just feel like it been an elaborate water change.

7. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

A clean dust pan works well for moving sand too! :)

8. Skye_marilyn

I was about to say that! A clean dust pan works wonders!

9. OP
    OP
    jenmur

@Skye_marilyn ok yeah I’ll do my best to make the transition from one tank to another as smooth as possible. Just never done this before. Not counting catching fish in a quarantine tank.

@Lchi87. I don’t think a dust pan would fit? The 55 is awfully skinny!

10. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Sure it will, just gotta measure the dust pan before you buy it to double check! My dust pan is from Ikea, pictured against my 55. (obviously NOT the exact one I use for tanks, I just happened to be cleaning house when I read your reply :p) I like this one because the edge is covered in a soft plastic.
    D0D854D5-23B3-47DD-A1A0-6AA6FD2DD450.jpeg

11. OP
    OP
    jenmur

Oh ok. And I guess once I remove the plants I can’t hurt them with the dustpan. And the plastic would protect the glass a little bit maybe

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice