Upgrading To Bigger Tank- How To Move Sand??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I have a 55 gallon with sand (Black Diamond Blasting sand), live plants, driftwood and decorations. And fish. I’m getting a 75 gallon to which stuff will be moved to as much as possible.
I know I have to buy more sand but I would like to move as much sand from the 55 to the 75 as possible. How do I do this?? I don’t want to mess up my plants too much but I want to be able to move things.

Here’s a picture of my 55

IMG_6506.JPG

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok I have a 55 gallon with sand (Black Diamond Blasting sand), live plants, driftwood and decorations. And fish. I’m getting a 75 gallon to which stuff will be moved to as much as possible.
I know I have to buy more sand but I would like to move as much sand from the 55 to the 75 as possible. How do I do this?? I don’t want to mess up my plants too much but I want to be able to move things.

Here’s a picture of my 55

View attachment 430891
Siphon out 25-50% of the water and discard all except a bucket full so you have a part way full aquarium and a full bucket( or however many you need), net all your fish into the bucket(s) of water. Siphon the rest of the water into the new aquarium and using a shovel scoop the sand into your new half way filled 75 gal. Move over all of your decorations and re-scape all of your plants. Add new water and possibly some stress guard, then transfer all your plumbing and equipment. Last you can add your fish and bucket of water to the tank.

OP
jenmur

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Siphon out 25-50% of the water and discard all except a bucket full so you have a part way full aquarium and a full bucket( or however many you need), net all your fish into the bucket(s) of water. Siphon the rest of the water into the new aquarium and using a shovel scoop the sand into your new half way filled 75 gal. Move over all of your decorations and re-scape all of your plants. Add new water and possibly some stress guard, then transfer all your plumbing and equipment. Last you can add your fish and bucket of water to the tank.
And the fish would be ok in the buckets for a couple of hours? I have Cherry barbs, Panda cories, and a Bristlenose Pleco. And I don’t mind using water from my 55 to put in the 75. Easier for sand to settle in some water.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
And the fish would be ok in the buckets for a couple of hours? I have Cherry barbs, Panda cories, and a Bristlenose Pleco. And I don’t mind using water from my 55 to put in the 75. Easier for sand to settle in some water.
Yeah, you can put an old hob with some of the tanks media on the bucket while your transferring everything.

Skye_marilyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’d have to use a very small HOB and stuff some filter floss in there but it’s an idea.
As long as it’s not over 6 or 8 hours they wouldn’t produce much ammonia, possibly stop feeding the day before moving day if you’re worried. Try to make it as quick and smooth as possible so the fish just feel like it been an elaborate water change.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
@Lchi87. I don’t think a dust pan would fit? The 55 is awfully skinny!
Sure it will, just gotta measure the dust pan before you buy it to double check! My dust pan is from Ikea, pictured against my 55. (obviously NOT the exact one I use for tanks, I just happened to be cleaning house when I read your reply ) I like this one because the edge is covered in a soft plastic.
D0D854D5-23B3-47DD-A1A0-6AA6FD2DD450.jpeg

OP
jenmur

jenmur

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sure it will, just gotta measure the dust pan before you buy it to double check! My dust pan is from Ikea, pictured against my 55. (obviously NOT the exact one I use for tanks, I just happened to be cleaning house when I read your reply ) I like this one because the edge is covered in a soft plastic.
View attachment 430971
Oh ok. And I guess once I remove the plants I can’t hurt them with the dustpan. And the plastic would protect the glass a little bit maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 88 66.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 24 18.0%

Top Bottom