Question Upgrading to bigger tank-can I skip cycling??

Ssnaaiil

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So currently I have a 35 gallon tank and it’s cycled with fish and everything is going great...I’m wanting to upgrade to a 50-60 gallon tank in a few months and looking for information before hand....so is there a way to transfer stuff from my 35 gallon to the new tank and be able to skip the whole cycling???

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes. Everything will still be cycled for the bioload you have in the 35g. Just move everything over and you'll be fine.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes. It's pretty much the same as doing a 100% water change. If the filter is well established, a 100% water change would not hurt the cycle one bit.

You can reuse the water too if you want. But it's not necessary to maintain the cycle.

Dennis57

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I went from a 55 to a 125 the same day, I just reused the 3 fluval that I had up and running in other tanks

Suzanne2

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I did this going from a 10 gallon up to a 29 gallon I moved the filters and some driftwood and plants. The sand was all new, but I only had 2 fish so it was pretty much a non issue, the filters alone probably would have been sufficient since I wasn't adding any new fish so the bioload was the same.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ssnaaiil said:
So currently I have a 35 gallon tank and it’s cycled with fish and everything is going great...I’m wanting to upgrade to a 50-60 gallon tank in a few months and looking for information before hand....so is there a way to transfer stuff from my 35 gallon to the new tank and be able to skip the whole cycling???
Be sure to test ammonia and nitrites every couple days for a week or two. It should work fine though.

New Threads