Upgrading To A Bigger Tank - Planting And Stocking

Susy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello!

I have recently gotten into aquariums (I used to have some when I was young but honestly knew nothing about it). I currently have a five gallon for my betta and a ten gallon with three guppies and five tetras (I had a few more but there has been a bit of trial and error). I have been researching a lot and often find myself coming back to this forum

I've realized that I need to upgrade my 10 gallon and have convinced my better half to let me do so. I was thinking a 20 or 30 but am worried that a 30 gallon will be very expensive (I need to get a stand) and very big. I've also decided that I want more live plants in my tank.

My questions are:

- Do I need a substrate like fluorite under my gravel for my plants? If so, how deep, and how deep should my gravel be? Or would it be better to buy the plants that come in the pots so they don't get too crazy?

- with a 20 g I'm planning on increasing my current stock to
ten neon tetras (have five right now)
Three guppies that I already have
One honey gouramI (would be new)
And, depending on room left or size of tank ten ember tetras

Any advice or conncerns is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might already be stocked with what you have. A 20 gallon isn't enough to carry that much. If you can get a bigger tank that will give you a the much needed room to run with.

As for substrate, it depends on how you like it, fish don't care what the tank looks like, its feed me and clean my tank, that's all they care about. You can use sand, soil or gravel, it's all up to you.

Make sure when you upgrade you get the proper filter that can manage that tank. A filter rated for a 10 gallon tank is not going to cut it with a 20 gallon tank or higher.

OP
Susy

Susy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks! Yes for sure I will be upgrading the filter too. I'm going to try for a bigger one but I only get a 20 g should I skip the embers?

GuppyGuy007

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes, in a 20 G you should probably skip the embers. If you got the 30 G,
You could probably have
3X Guppies
1X Honey Gourami
7-8X Neon Tetras
7-8X Ember Tetras
OR
3X Guppies
1X Honey Gourami
14X Neon Tetras or 16X Ember Tetras

OP
Susy

Susy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great thanks! I'm going to try for the 30 depending on what I can find and budget.

New Threads