Upgrading To A 60? (and Selling My 40 Long?)

Would you be interested in buying?

• 48" Beamswork FSPEC

• Beamswork timer module

• 25' Python aquarium maintenance tool

• 40 gallon long glass aquarium (w/ lid)

Results are only viewable after voting.
kuhlkid
Hey guys!

So last year I started my community tank in a 40 gallon long. My aquarium stand is rated for up to 75 gallons, but for lease reasons, I can't have a tank holding more than 40 gallons of water. However, with all the decor I keep in the tank, I don't think my fish are getting the full gallonage they deserve! I've started daydreaming about upgrading to a 60 gallon(48.5"x15.5"x17.5" at my local supplier) and only partially filling it to stay within the terms of my lease. There are, I'll admit, a few things I'd do differently when setting up the next time around, and the thought of a fresh start is pretty exciting.

Does anyone on here have experience with partially-filled tanks? Any aquascaping advice? I have a 3D rock background that would still fit the 60, and I think I'd put in plenty of substrate to help fill the vertical space. I've been thinking I could use the open air at the top to keep some pothos! Thoughts on that?

With dreams of upgrading come the realities of funding. I'd be getting new tank, tank lid, and additional substrate at the very least. I do have some things to sell, though, most notably:
  • 48" Beamswork FSPEC and timer module (retail around $40+$15)
  • 25 ft Python sink attachment (around $40 on Amazon)
  • And of course, after the transfer, the 40 gallon long glass aquarium and lid!
Before posting about these items in BSTF (that's probably still a ways off), I figured I'd open these ideas up for discussion. Would anyone be interested in buying any or all of the above items at a discount here on Fishlore? The light and python I could probably ship out. For the tank, I live in the San Diego area, and would love to sell it to anyone who could meet up with me and handle at least some of their own transport. What do y'all think? Could I make this happen?

Advertisement
Katie13
I'm no where near you, or I would take that tank/lid in a heartbeat! With a partially filled tank, a hood/lid likely isn't needed unless your fish are highly skilled jumpers. You should be able to get by with just a light.

Advertisement
kuhlkid
With a partially filled tank, a hood/lid likely isn't needed unless your fish are highly skilled jumpers. You should be able to get by with just a light.
I've got enough high energy fish that I think it's worth the cost--even if it's just for my own peace of mind

Katie13
Good luck! I have my sights set on a 40L, 40B, or a tank with similar dimensions as my next!

kuhlkid
Good luck! I have my sights set on a 40L, 40B, or a tank with similar dimensions as my next!
Thanks so much! I wish we lived closer!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SLeroux
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies