Upgrading To A 29 For A Lonely Reticulated Cory

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The petco "dollar pr gallon" sale rolled around, so I figured it was finally time to upgrade my betta, 3 peppered cats, 2 trilli corys, and ping-pong ball sized mystery snail. Some bacground about the lonely trilli: I bought a group of trillis a while back, but it turns out they had an aggressive internal parasite that caused a wasting type illness. I could only save one of them, the rest died some 1.5 weeks after purchase. In an attempt to make her feel less stressed, I bought her some peppered cories because trillis were hard to find. But she didn't truly shoal with them, so I bought her one trilli on ebay. But now the tank is at capacity, and she still seems lonely. So I know I need more cories in this 29gal, I just don't really know how many. Ideally I would like to add to the peppered cat school, too. But keep in mind there is already a betta and a snail. Thanks guys!

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yep!! I found some there too, and I was happy to see them in stock. They are usually only available seasonally. Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What do you mean with Reticulated cory? Do you maybe have two different ones. One trilineatus and one reticulatus

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nope, sorry. Just some trilli cories and spotted cories. My bad, mistake on the name there.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The petco "dollar pr gallon" sale rolled around, so I figured it was finally time to upgrade my betta, 3 peppered cats, 2 trilli corys, and ping-pong ball sized mystery snail. Some bacground about the lonely trilli: I bought a group of trillis a while back, but it turns out they had an aggressive internal parasite that caused a wasting type illness. I could only save one of them, the rest died some 1.5 weeks after purchase. In an attempt to make her feel less stressed, I bought her some peppered cories because trillis were hard to find. But she didn't truly shoal with them, so I bought her one trilli on ebay. But now the tank is at capacity, and she still seems lonely. So I know I need more cories in this 29gal, I just don't really know how many. Ideally I would like to add to the peppered cat school, too. But keep in mind there is already a betta and a snail. Thanks guys!
Other than the cories you wanted to add, the betta, and the snail, did you want to add anything else?

Betrayer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ideally, cories should be kept in groups of 6 or more. 12 in a 29-gallon might be doable, especially since their only tankmates would be a Betta and snail.

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Originally I also wanted some upside down cats, but I would rather my cories were happy.

Betrayer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Originally I also wanted some upside down cats, but I would rather my cories were happy.
I think you will really enjoy seeing their behavior when you increase the size of their shoals. They should feel a lot happier and more secure. It's great that your first priority is their well-being

Another thought...what size tank are they currently in? Is it something you would be comfortable keeping the betta in? If so, you could probably get a group of small schooling fish for the 29-gallon, along with a small gourami (maybe a honey or dwarf gourami). I would stick with a single school of maybe 8-10 fish (tetras or rasboras are good options) because 12 cories will already have a fairly large bio-load.

Last edited by a moderator:

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't have that many $$$, so I'm hoping to only run one tank. Plus my betta seems to like having cories around so he knows how to be a bottom feeder -_- haha

Betrayer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it would be okay to get 6 of each type if you would like. That should be perfectly fine along with your betta and snail. Especially because the trilli cories are usually a little smaller than some of the other cories.

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sounds good!! But my lonely female is huge. Like a mini tank! But more in bulk and height than length...

pumpernickel

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well she's definitely taller and more boxy/ triangular. She's pretty big. Like a tank. Of adorableness.

Betrayer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well she's definitely taller and more boxy/ triangular. She's pretty big. Like a tank. Of adorableness.
I wonder if your peppered cories are all males. Males tend to be noticeably smaller than females. Anyway, she sounds adorable! It's very cute how much you enjoy her. I feel the same about my cories. They are very endearing

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom