Upgrading to 60 Gallon - Stocking Advice

1. redstart Initiate Member

I am upgrading my current crowded tank to a 60 gallon and would like to add some more fish. Here is what I have now:

2 Guppies
    2 Von Rio Tetras
    2 Marigold Platies
    1 Green Lantern Platy
    1 Sunburst Wag Platy
    4 Zebra Danios
    9 Neon Tetras
    1 Silver Lyretail/Dalmatian Molly cross (still very small)
    1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
    1 Clown Pleco

Ideally, I would like to add fish that are larger than the livebearers that would add more variety to the tank. I really like the Dwarf Gourami, but wasn’t sure if adding another Gourami would cause issues. I would love to hear any suggestions on what to add.

Thank you!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore!

The tetras and danios either need to be rehomed or their numbers need to be upgraded to 6. Your livebearers need to be all male. Or you are going to be overrun by babies. I wouldn't do another gourami unless it's a female dwarf.

You have a lot of room on the bottom of the tank. A nice large school of cory cats or kuhli loaches would be fine. You could do some synodontis cats or hoplos. You could also do a pair of dwarf cichlids like keyholes or bolivian rams. Just make sure it's peaceful or those guppies may not last long.

3. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

+ 1 on Kuhli loaches. They are such clowns once they get comfortable!

4. redstart Initiate Member

Thanks for the input! I agree on rounding out the tetras and danios numbers. My livebearers are all female, so no worries on babies. I was thinking about corys as well, but wasn't sure if the clown pleco would be territorial with them or not. I am familiar with Bolivian Rams, but not with keyholes - I will have to look them up. Would a school of dwarf rainbowfish work, or would the tank be too small?

5. redstart Initiate Member

Would the Kuhlis be ok with the Clown Pleco? I read that they can be shy and mostly nocturnal, but I imagine if they had plenty of hiding places they might come out more?

6. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Kuhlis are definitely shy when you first get them but as long as you provide them with lots of places to hide and give them a little time, you'll see them out during the day too! Not sure about how they'd do with another bottom dweller though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

They'll be fine with a clown pleco. The clown pleco will likely be more shy than the kuhli's.

8. redstart Initiate Member

Thanks for all the info! If I added the following, would it be overstocked?

4 Von Rio Tetras
    2 Zebra Danios
    6 Kuhli Loaches
    6 Boesemani Rainbows

Tank dimensions are 48.5L x 12.75w x 25h - I wasn't sure if this is big enough for a school of smaller rainbows.