Upgrading To 40 Gal From 20

Holly Cooper

Hi, I've had a 20 gal cycled tank for a year and I need to upgrade to a larger tank because my male angel has grown so big. About a week ago I threw a bag of biomedia in the bottom of the 20 to start the beneficial bacteria for the new tank. I also plan to do my weekly water change tomorrow and use some of that water (from rinsing the sponge etc) in the new tank. last year was rough when I started the 20 learning about the nitrogen cycle so I don't want to put my fish thru that again. How long does the biomedia need to be in my existing tank so that it can give a good kick start on the new one? I don't have that many fish, one large angel and one small one, 2 tetras, a flying fox and an african dwarf frog. The 20 is planted and parameters are all perfect. I am hoping to get some guidance so that the move is easy on my fish. Thank you!!

Cheesearmada

Hi! Welcome to fishlore!

Alright, so the most important think is, that biomedia will stay in there forever. Also you should put it into your filter for the 40g. I would wait at least 2 weeks while dosing with some seachem stability.

Hope this helps!

Kenny777

What type of Tetras do you have?

What are the Genders of the Angelfish?

Rehome the dwarf frog, they should be kept in groups and need to be in species only tanks.

Cheesearmada

Kenny777

You can't tell the difference from a male or female Angelfish unless they are spawning.

Kenny777

Kenny777

You can't tell the difference from a male or female Angelfish unless they are spawning.
Oh sorry

However can you answer me what type of tetras are they?

Natalya

Somebody told me two weeks for bacteria to colonize your new media

Holly Cooper

I have 2 lemon tetras. I did have two ADFs but one died a few months ago from bloat. The large angel is definitely a male and the smaller angel is a female - I think because she likes him alot. I did have a female angel that died. I was really really sad. They were a mated pair. He seems to really like the new angel - so it looks positive.

So I need to leave the media in the 20 for another week (its only been in there one week so far) before I move it to the 40? I will use Sability too but once I move the biomedia will it still take a few weeks for the 40 to cycle?

el337

Welcome to the forum!

Are you planning to move all the fish over to the new tank? If so, you can move over all the fish and the filter media at the same time for an instant cycle.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Biz
Replies
Views
DetroitDan
  • Question
Replies
Views
TucanSam
Replies