Upgrading To 29g From A 5g

1. Mausie

Mausie New Member Member

I am learning a lot from reading this forum. I feel bad for not doing more research before I purchased the fish, but I can only go forward from here. Thanks to this forum, I'm now aware of the petco $1 per gallon sale that is going on right now. Good timing!

There's still so many questions. Should I do a fishless cycle? Is there a good very inexpensive filter that would do or shall I wait until I can get a better one? Southern California is so hot. Now that I've purchased thermometers I know that my tanks were 84° this afternoon. This morning they were 78°. Is this frying the fry?

After posting this last night I read up on cooling, and i watched some good diy cooling videos on YouTube. It was so miserably hot and muggy last night. I put in a frozen bottle(20 oz), took off the tank lid, and positioned a fan nearby. The bottles did a good job reducing the temperature from 84° to 78°. Crisis averted and ensuing cleverness.

I didn't put the tank lids back on. I wish I would have. My red wag platy was on the floor this morning. She was the only one awake last night. She was interested in what I was doing and what the bottle was doing. I took a little video of her and the bottle and sent it off to my kids and my sister. Dang. Poor Lucy. Undisputed Queen of the Platys.

2. OP
    OP
    Mausie

Mausie New Member Member

fac24b091bba535673bf87c5e9ddff16.jpg 641f184e53cc3381e1b2a0bb262431fe.jpg

Leak testing hour 14/24

3. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Love the critter inside :)

4. OP
    OP
    Mausie

Mausie New Member Member

41227c97f7e78d0d6277b1a5736e2c71.jpg

It's basic and simple. I would love it to be a work of aquascaping beauty, but if the plants and fish thrive here, I will be happy.

(Notice Helper Cat in the reflection)

The mopani wood came from the Spec. All these plants had been in the Spec as well and they've been soaking in the kitchen for about a week. af3973638ae8c382560dbcb24293a3c1.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    Mausie

Mausie New Member Member

The mopani wood came from the Spec. All these plants had been in the Spec as well and they've been soaking in the kitchen for about a week. af3973638ae8c382560dbcb24293a3c1.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Mausie

Mausie New Member Member

80f4d2f8b65a8de7b42d1870dd812c65.jpg

Now let the cycling start!

Fishless
    Patience

7. OP
    OP
    Mausie

Mausie New Member Member

I'm going to have to do something about the cords in back. It's ok! I'm planning to get heater, making a circulation thing, another filter perhaps.

I'm looking forward to all the platies platyses plati (what is the plural of platy?) being in here.

3 adults
    Sunburst Mickey Mouse "Mausie" f
    Blue Rainbow "Bette" f
    Panda "Inga" m

and 7 fry.
    2 Red Wag born of "Greta" or "Lucy"
    3 Blue
    2 yellow

After Greta died is when i discovered the first fry. They were pale so i though they were Mausie's. Now they are so red! One looks just like Lucy and one looks more like Greta. I was shocked to see the fry because I had gotten all females. I didn't know that they could be already pregnant. The weekend after Greta died and I warmed up to all the fry, I got the Panda platy male. I'm wondering what the pairing should look like between him and the others.