Upgrading To 180 From 65 Planted

1. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Okay, so the current tank is a sand substrate 65 gallon (24 miserable inch tall tank.) I use root tabs and nilocg's 2 bottle all in one. I supplement with an extra dose of aqua vitro propel (fe) once a week. Currently dosing the other product twice a week, sometimes 3 times, still dialing it in.

My lighting is a fluval plant 3.0 and an edge 360.

I've got hygro compacta, hygro scarlet compacta, dwarf sag, bronze crypts, wisteria, swords, some ludwigia, and a couple of sad sad ferns.

I'm upgrading to a 125 next week and have decided on a dirted tank. I'm using miracle gro organic potting mix (smells like manure, hopefully its safe) 1 inch capped by 1 inch of the nat geo black sand. Instead of having my two lights front and back, I'm going to have to have them side by side, but the new tank is far less deep so it should be higher lighting.

As far as I can tell, I'm going to have better lighting, a more nutrient rich substrate, and no change of stock except buying all the amanos I can source locally to help out my wife.

Now for the question marks.

I'm upgrading so maintenance is lower for my wife while I'm out of the country for a bit. Should mean less water changes for her since I'm keeping less stock per gallon. Aside from new tank issues like diatoms, will there be more algae issues since I'm not dosing c02 but essentially increasing lighting and soil ferts? Co2 isnt an option since my wife wont be able to fiddle with it and wont want to exchange bottles or get them refilled. Will the lighting be acceptable for my plants? They thrive now as long as I remember to restock root tabs timely enough. Will I be able to use the current 7 pumps of ferts, or do I need to increase dosage due to the extra water?

The picture attached is before I added the scarlet temples and ludwigia. And before I added root tabs si everything is bigger and thicker now... by a ton. Ran out of space and had to remove a bundle of wisteria. 20180509_163759.jpg

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

8090FCA6-A0DA-4198-A0B3-7CF04D4D2863.jpeg

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

You'll need to increase dosage because you have more water, but ease into it since you're using soil. In the future dry ferts may be more economical than liquid ferts :)

4. OP
    OP
    W

If I wasnt trying to keep it stupid simple for my wife I would already be using dry ferts. I wish they would make an easy 2 step all in one like the new liquid ferts.

5. OP
    OP
    W

So after sifting a cubic foot of soil (which by itself should have been perfect,) I dont have nearly the same amount of dirt I should have. I may end up mixing a bag of ada soil into it to get the 1 cubic foot of soil I want. I'll probably end up a bit short, but it might work out well enough after i add some anchor rocks for decor and plants. I should have enough nat geo sand after adding the 25 lbs i just bought and the 45 or so currently in my 65. The plants better appreciate what I'm about to have to go through. I'm thinking a kids sand shovel will be the easiest way to remove and move around the sand to the new tank. The stock can all sit in a 30 gallon tote I bought that currently is housing the sifted dirt with water change water in it. Tomorrow I will find some mexican clay for making iron tabs. I figure with the sand cap, and the amount of sifting I've done, I should have minimal startup issues. I used a colander to sift out anything bigger than a pine needle so air pockets should be minimal, especially after planting.

Hopefully I like where I end up putting my swords. Those things will never be removed after planting. I'd rather kill them than pull up and make a mess in a dirted tank lol.

6. OP
    OP
    W

Whoops! The 125 is not the style I was looking for so we talked a little turkey. Turns out I'm getting a 180. Great... now I need another filter, another heater, and probably some more aquarium sand. Good thing I checked the basement to see what the floor is where the tank will be. I've got an I beam running right there. Almost like they built the house with me in mind lol.

7. OP
    OP
    W

And the hits keep coming. While I was having a store worker help me load the stand i kept hearing a banging. The employee said it's because they forgot to tape a door. My pea sized brain went, okay, and i took the still boxed stand home. Pulled it from the truck, drag it into the house, and then wanted to see it. I popped the top open and saw what really made all that noise. The door's vertical brace was popped off on the bottom and a corner brace was snapped off. I could fix the door but when the corner brace broke off, it took a lot of extra wood with it. Apparently aqueon glues and nails and staples the wood together. Props for build strength, not for the way the stand was handled. By the way, in the box, it's not possible for a door to swing outward and back in. There's not enough room. There could never be enough room!

Called the store and got a hold of the owner. He was infuriated. I told him to bring my tank anyway so I could dirt and cap it, and maybe try a dry start for the plants. He shows up with a beautiful tank... no lids. Apparently the wholesaler just sold them on amazon, and the price was a bit more than quoted. Owner told him he was lucky the customer was laid back or he would bring me to the distributor in all my rage.

So I have a massive tank sitting on the floor with dirt and sand in it. I'm not going to dry start it as I dont want the extra weight when the stand comes in next week. There's no lids so I've got to make sure my kid doesnt do anything to it. I've let her spray her hair water spray bottle into it. She likes it, it kind of helps me, and hopefully it's enough to keep her from messing up the cap on the dirt. Sometimes life likes it a little more exciting eh?

Anyone got any ideas how long bb will survive in a filled canister filter? I keep dropping 2 drops of ammonia from a 1 ml pipette into it, but I'm not sure how well this will work out. I was going to use the canister with just the dirt and plants so I could get the leeched excess stuff from the dirt removed, but cant do that now.

8. OP
    OP
    W

So I've finally got the darn tank dirted, filled, and planted. As the water clears I'm seeing some mistakes with how rolling the sand is in some spots. I'll fix it this weekend. Here's to hoping the cap is enough. I reused my sand from my 65, where my fish still are, and transferred everything but the ac 110 over. Both tanks are cloudy. I'll check parameters in an hour or so to get a good turnover and test the new tank water. Here's hoping for a good test!

9. OP
    OP
    W

I added another half of a 25 lb bag of the nat geo sand. I can not overstate how much I love working with this stuff. Literally shake it with water in a 2 liter bottle and pour it under water. No mess, no problems. Now my tank is more even. I tested after adding the sand, and even the bubbles have subsided. I'm guessing the weight helped rid a bunch of air pockets I had previously.

I added bacopa and my s. Repens. Went to lfs and bought some lights, plugged one in and took them back. Owner apologized and should have me a couple more plant 3.0s next week.

Transferred all stock. I thought it would be more difficult to spot them but it's not bad. Everyone was willing to eat within half an hour of being rudely transferred except the butterfly fish. I'm nervous since my lids haven't come in yet. Lfs owner is about ready to throttle people for me since he knows I got one foot out the door.

My psycho wife just asked me what cool fish I'm putting in. After all the grief, she wants a cooler tank. I haven't let on that I may add some discus and or clown loaches when I get back.

Probably the last update from me for a while. I finally have healthy stock, a dirted tank, and plenty of equipment including backups. Sometimes tertiary backups lol. Hopefully my wife can just coast this tank easily. Should be easy for her, but we will see what rears its ugly head while I'm gone. Last time it was a suicidal fish and an over eager 2 yo feeding them a can of food. Hopefully that doesnt happen again.

10. OP
    OP
    W

Ok so I was getting tired of seeing yellow tank water. I added the purigen a week or so ago and figured the yellow was from biofilm on the glass or the lower light intensity. Today I got a wild hair and decided to do a massive water change for funsies. While doing this, I popped open the hob filter to check the purigen. It was COMPLETELY exhausted!

So maybe there is some dirt tannins going on after all! I set about recharging purigen and refilled the tank. Went and bought a couple more bags so there's always something adsorbing the tannins. While I'm waiting for the bleach to clean the purigen, I get curious about how many times you can regenerate it.

Down the rabbit hole I go!

I run across purigen adds, and directions, and tank die offs and... wait, what?! Turns out pure bleach isnt all that available anymore. Splashless is a no go! Hmmm... I wonder what kind I just used on 30 bucks of purigen? Meadow scent splashless!!! Double fail on my part. Why did Clorox add a scent to bleach?! Splashless I get. Totally understand. But Mountain meadow splashless bleach smells exactly like.... BLEACH!!! Why? Someone explain to me why anyone would try and add a scent to the thing that describes purifying, eating color, killing everything in its wake, disinfecting, corrosive, bleach! Ok rant over. 30 dollar mistake on my part.

Curiously enough, one bag was clean after about 12 hours. The other bag still had tons of brown in it. They're both in the trash now, upset with my ignorant actions in regards to them.

Mountain Meadow bleach... smh