Upgrading Tank

lucky123

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m new here just so everyone knows! I have had my betta, Lucky, in the same 2 gallon tank since I got him a couple years ago. A month ago I started cycling a big 10 gallon tank because I was reading about how bettas are happier in bigger tanks. I was wondering when I finally get my tank cycled (hopefully soon) how can I make this transition not stressful for Lucky because he’s an older fish so I’m worried stress could be bad for him. Thanks!!!

OP
lucky123

lucky123

Reaction score
Sorry about the title being super random I was gonna ask about what type of betta a friend had but I changed my mind lol

Aimvid23

Reaction score
lucky123 said:
Hi everyone! I’m new here just so everyone knows! I have had my betta, Lucky, in the same 2 gallon tank since I got him a couple years ago. A month ago I started cycling a big 10 gallon tank because I was reading about how bettas are happier in bigger tanks. I was wondering when I finally get my tank cycled (hopefully soon) how can I make this transition not stressful for Lucky because he’s an older fish so I’m worried stress could be bad for him. Thanks!!!
Once your tank is fully cycled you’ll want to go ahead and place him in a separate container either the cup you got him in or a plastic bag, research acclimating as with betta you can do the bag method as they are hardy, the least stressful method would be the drip method. Hope this helps :)

OP
lucky123

lucky123

Reaction score
Aimvid23 said:
Once your tank is fully cycled you’ll want to go ahead and place him in a separate container either the cup you got him in or a plastic bag, research acclimating as with betta you can do the bag method as they are hardy, the least stressful method would be the drip method. Hope this helps :)
Ok thanks so much!

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can also transfer your filter from your old tank to the new one which will jump start your cycle!

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lucky123 said:
Welcome to the forum. As e_watson09 said, you can move the filter media from the old tank to the new one and introduce the fish right away (though if you've been doing a fishless cycle you might want to give it time for any ammonia you've added to get to near zero first).

ValkyrieLips

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Make sure to baffle the flow of your filter in your 10 gallon, he'll need some time to get used to the new swimming space and you don't want him to get pushed around by the flow. :)

OP
lucky123

lucky123

Reaction score
ValkyrieLips said:
Make sure to baffle the flow of your filter in your 10 gallon, he'll need some time to get used to the new swimming space and you don't want him to get pushed around by the flow. :)
This is a dumb question but how do I baffle the flow of my filter again? Lol

ValkyrieLips

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lucky123 said:
This is a dumb question but how do I baffle the flow of my filter again? Lol
It's not a dumb question. There are a bunch of ways to do it, I personally use a sponge to block the output but some people will cut a water bottle and put holes in it. You want the surface of your water to look as still as possible.

Attachments

OP
lucky123

lucky123

Reaction score
ValkyrieLips said:
It's not a dumb question. There are a bunch of ways to do it, I personally use a sponge to block the output but some people will cut a water bottle and put holes in it. You want the surface of your water to look as still as possible.
Ok thanks! I’ll definitely do that!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom