Upgrading Tank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Axemaniac88, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Axemaniac88

Axemaniac88New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys, I'm about to change one of my tanks to provide a bit more room for my guppies and just wanted to get some of your advice about the best way to go about changing tanks.

I currently have a Fluval Flex 34l that is stocked as below, and I am simply upgrading to the Fluval Flex 57l, so it will be essentially the same setup with (hopefully) the same parameters.

- 2 guppies (this may increase by a few though)
    - 2 amano shrimp
    - 3 assassin snails
    - Java Ferns
    - Java Moss
    - Gravel substrate & ornaments

My thought process was something roughly like this -

- Set up new tank - add filter, heater and water and let it run OR keep existing spare filter running in existing tank
    - Move the gravel (and spare filter media) from existing tank to new tank
    - Leave tank for a period (going on holiday for a week so might be good timing!)
    - Test the parameters and once ok, transfer the fish

Obviously this is a very rough plan, but if anyone has some tips or advice on the smoothest way to do this, it is much appreciated, thanks!

2. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you are going on holiday for a week, I would wait to do anything until you get back. Even if you do everything perfectly, there is still a chance something could go wrong. You want to be there to be able to react just in case. At least that's how I would feel about it.

On your current set up, with the 34l. Have you put any extra bio-media in the back chamber? If you haven't, I would do this, on your old tank. When you get back from holiday, you can use the extra bio-media to seed your new tank, and have an instantly cycled tank. I would get the extra bio-media in there asap to give it as much time as possible.

3. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    If you set up the new tank with seeded media (your substrate and spare media) and then leave for a week without dosing ammonia you will lose any type of bacteria that has already colonized in the new items in the new tank. The bacteria will have nothing to feed on while there are no fish present in the tank, so definitely dont do that. You could do one or two things here, which sometimes even when you do this will result in a little "hiccup" in your cycle (like slightly elevated ammonia or nitrite) but it will resolve itself much quicker than doing a complete recycle because you already have a bacteria colony. I would either run the new filter next to the old one on your current tank for 2-3 weeks and then put your fish in a bucket and just transfer everything over to the new tank. Or you could put your fish in a bucket, set up the new tank, and run both old and new filters side by side for a few weeks then remove the old one just DO NOT add any fish during either of these processes. Wait until your water params are good for a week. Really there's no difference between the two of these, just depends on how anxious you are to set up the new tank lol!

4. OP
    OP
    Axemaniac88

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your advice. I do have a spare media in the tank that I would estimate has been in it for 6-8 weeks, as I had at the time thought of going ahead with an upgrade. I thought adding the spare media would help speed up the cycling process but didn't realise it would instantly cycle!

Thanks for your help. I do have an automatic fish feeder device that in theory, I could program to dispense fish flakes once a day or every other day to help "feed" the tank ammonia while I am away, which would then give me a week's head-start if I were to also add the spare filter media (which as above, has been in my current tank for 6-8 weeks) before I leave? I'm not a fan of fish-in cycles so there will definitely be no fish in the tank until it is fully cycled!

5. Fishstery

FishsteryValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +194
    Experience:
    1 year
    Using fish food as an ammonia source is an out dated old school technique that has held controversy over its effectiveness. Theres no way to properly measure the amount of ammonia it disperses, or even if it releases enough ammonia to keep a colony large enough for your bioload fed. My opinion is to just keep your current setup until you return home. Put your fish in a bucket and setup your new tank with either both new and old filters, or transfer all of your current media into your new filter and keep an eye on the water parameters for the following week.

6. OP
    OP
    Axemaniac88

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks, might just do that - will save me worrying about it while I'm away at least!