Upgrading Tank With Previous Equipment

Jakkie
In just about a week my partner and I plan on upgrading our 10 gallon to a 20 long. We want to use all of the equipment and decor from our 10 in the 20 and we're trying to figure out how exactly we're going to go about it. I was told that if we use all of our current things (same heater, filters,etc.) that we won't have to cycle the new tank (and we won't add new fish yet). So my question is how can we do a smooth transition from everything in the 10 gallon to the 20 without stressing the fish. I was thinking since during a water change we have to unplug everything, we could use that time frame to switch our heater, filters, plants,decor and some of the substrate into the 20 andadd the correct temperature water and transfer the fish. Will that work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: I forgot to mention another question I had. We have our 10 gallon on a wayfair bar cabinet. Its held our 10 perfectly fine but how can I tell if it will hold the 20 as well?

Advertisement
Fashooga
I put the fish into a bucket with the heater and throw the media into the bucket.

Then you would decorate your 20, add water and conditioner.

The problem is the filter. Is your filter rated to handle a 20? Or was it the stock filter that came with the tank? If it’s stock it might not be adequate enough and require a new filter that’s rated for at least 20+.

Once the tank is ready throw the fish and any new fish in slowly.

Feohw
Fill the new tank with temperature matched water. I used some of my old tank water too to better match the water they were used to - this wasn't really necessary as the difference between my tap and tank water is minimal. I bagged my fish so that I could get all the gravel out. Then I moved everything over, made sure everything was working and the temp was right before adding them. All was well. My fish were and still are fine.

The water was very murky in the old tank during all of this and it was difficult to see, so I thought it best to bag them.

Advertisement
Jakkie
I put the fish into a bucket with the heater and throw the media into the bucket.

Then you would decorate your 20, add water and conditioner.

The problem is the filter. Is your filter rated to handle a 20? Or was it the stock filter that came with the tank? If it’s stock it might not be adequate enough and require a new filter that’s rated for at least 20+.

Once the tank is ready throw the fish and any new fish in slowly.
The media as in the filter media in the bucket? We have a Tidal 35 filter and a sponge filter so I think we're good on filtration. Thanks for the info!

Fill the new tank with temperature matched water. I used some of my old tank water too to better match the water they were used to - this wasn't really necessary as the difference between my tap and tank water is minimal. I bagged my fish so that I could get all the gravel out. Then I moved everything over, made sure everything was working and the temp was right before adding them. All was well. My fish were and still are fine.

The water was very murky in the old tank during all of this and it was difficult to see, so I thought it best to bag them.
Thank you, maybe I will do the bag thing if I can't find a bucket for them

jdhef
Make sure your existing heater will be large enough to handle the larger tank

Jakkie
Make sure your existing heater will be large enough to handle the larger tank
Thank you, I will double check but I believe it is. Everything we have in there has been upgraded from what it came with so we should be good.

McGoo
When I changed from my 75 gallon to my 125 I used a big rubbermaid bin, and because it was a dark blue, it helped keep the stress level down for the fish...I also threw some of their familiar plants and decor in with them... you can then transfer all your gravel, decor, filter and whatnot over to the new tank ... fill the tank with water being sure to neutralize the chlorine with seachem prime or equivalent, so you don't kill all your beneficial bacteria.... make sure the temp is pretty much the same as well.. if you're under filtered, you can get another one to add later, at least you'll have one going with the bacteria already which will also help in seeding the second one later..

Jakkie
When I changed from my 75 gallon to my 125 I used a big rubbermaid bin, and because it was a dark blue, it helped keep the stress level down for the fish...I also threw some of their familiar plants and decor in with them... you can then transfer all your gravel, decor, filter and whatnot over to the new tank ... fill the tank with water being sure to neutralize the chlorine with seachem prime or equivalent, so you don't kill all your beneficial bacteria.... make sure the temp is pretty much the same as well.. if you're under filtered, you can get another one to add later, at least you'll have one going with the bacteria already which will also help in seeding the second one later..
Thank you that was really helpful. Ill probably go pick up a Rubbermaid bin for that.

McGoo
Thank you that was really helpful. Ill probably go pick up a Rubbermaid bin for that.
Just be sure to use half your tank water in the rubbermaid bin, that way it's not a big swing in water parameters... use the other half in the new tank..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dwc13
Replies
Views
Hunter1
Replies
Views
Arcana
Replies
Views